Would you still go and get a pet in this situation???

My dh and I have been discussing getting a cat or dog. We are at a crossroad because my Mom and Dad have a dog and they visit us often and I have had to hear from my Mom that she is concerned that her dog will not get along with our pet when my Mom and Dad are visiting our house. Then last night we had to hear about other family members allergies to cats that visit our house. I am just asking for opinions. Would you let this stop you from getting a pet for your kids because of people that do not live in your house? I just want to please everyone and I have a feeling that it is not possible in this situation...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It will not be possible to please everyone. If you want to get your children a pet, get your children a pet. It is of no concern to those who do not LIVE on a daily basis in your home.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:17 AM on May. 15, 2009

• wouldnt stop me from getting one. I say its your house your rules, I would just tell them that your willing to place the animal in a different area while the a present. and thats if you even are lol
    JessicaNichole

Answer by JessicaNichole at 8:20 AM on May. 15, 2009

• My first reaction is to say forget them and just get you a pet. However, if the allergies are legitimate and that person visits you often and you value their visits, I would reconsider. What about an outside dog?

As far as your parents dog not getting along with yours, have a cage. If their dog gets aggressive, put it in the cage for a few. Do this repeatedly and it should stop. If your children really want a pet I wouldn't make them do without forever. Just make some adjustments.
    almostcrazee

Answer by almostcrazee at 8:27 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Our pets are members of our family, if someone doesn't like that we have them, they don't need to come over. It's good for your children to have a pet, don't let what everyone elses say's get to you.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:28 AM on May. 15, 2009

• WHAT??? Those people are guests in YOUR house!!! Dont let their opinions affect what you and your husband want to do for YOUR kids. Jeeze...as far as your mom is concerned have THEM bring a cage for their dog. if you want to get a cat tell your family to bring some benadryl...lol. sorry, i think its silly that guests in your house are trying to tell you if you can or cant get a pet. its really not their decision....unless they start paying rent.
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 8:36 AM on May. 15, 2009

• no! if your dog and your mom's don't get along you can keep them in seperate rooms or she can kennel them. As for allergies my brother is allergic to both cats and dogs and when he visits he just takes some allergy meds and he caqn be here just fine.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:50 AM on May. 15, 2009

• No, it's your house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I think what is really getting to me is that we used to have both a cat and dog and no one ever had a problem before with it because the house was swept and vacuumed daily and the pets were not allowed on the furniture. We have not had a pet for over 6 years and I miss my cat and dog terribly and think that my family is ready for another pet. I just wanted some reassurance ladies...thank you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Yes, I would still get the pet of MY CHOICE.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:57 AM on May. 15, 2009

• You say your parents visit often and bring their dog, but it's not clear if you mean they come over every few days from elsewhere in or near the same town, or if they live a distance away and visit for several days at a time. Actually, 2 dogs usually like to play with each other, but if they don't, ask your parents to leave their dog at home for a short same-day visit, or board him for an extended visit of several days. You really do need to consider your parents. As for the other people, it's your house and your family, You and your children shouldn't have to be deprived of having a pet because of shirttail relatives and their whining. If they don't like it they can lump it or stay away.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:03 AM on May. 15, 2009