Why is my DD getting up earlier.......

My 3.5 year old daughter use to sleep until at least 8:00AM. For the last week she has been getting up 6:45-7:00. She still takes a 2 hour nap everyday. I hate to drop naptime because i am a SAHM and I love having a break and if she still sleeps that long wouldn't you think she still needs it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on May. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• Is her room dark in the morning?
    My kids broke all their shades so there is nothing blocking the light coming in and as it gets lighter earlier they get up earlier. Currently they get up around 6am even on weekends. I don't get up until 6:45 on school days and not until at least 8am on weekends.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:24 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Have you thought about moving her nap time so its earlier so she is a little more tired at bed time? At her age she might be ready to just have quiet time and if she falls a sleep then so be it. Most kids out grow their naps on their own. Keep her room dark and maybe try a later bed time if you don't want to change nap time. My daughter is 8 months and used to get up at 8 and is now up no later than 7 am daily and we have tried everything and found that putting her to bed later works for us.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:35 AM on May. 15, 2009

• what time does she go to bed maybe if she stays up a lil longer she will sleep a lil more or you could cut her nap time to a hour instead of two. i am a SAHM to and i know how great it feels when its nap time my daughter is almost two and takes a 3 hour nap sometimes more if i let her.
    mommy033

Answer by mommy033 at 9:00 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Like the pp said, try moving her naptime or her bedtime to a bit later. Also, if her room is getting brighter because of the sun, try getting some dark curtains to put up. Otherwise, you may just have to adjust your schedule a bit. Good luck.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:07 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Put her to bed a ltitle later and or make her nap shorter. Make sure her room is dark.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:56 AM on May. 15, 2009

• We're dealing with this too. Honest to god I think it's just a phase. My guy has started getting back to normal. (Well...closer. We got up at 7:30 for EVER...and for about the last month he was getting up as early as 5:15. Yesterday and today we got up at 6:45.) I don't think messing with bedtime and naptime is a good idea. Ive found that doing either of those things just messes it up worse. If I move naptime, he won't take as long of a nap. If I make bedtime later, he will get up at the same time, and just be pissy cause he didn't get enough sleep.
    As much as it sucks, I say wait it out. Get some blackout shades for her room if you think that's contributing. But kids go through cycles where they sleep and eat more, and cycles where they seem to not need as much of either. I think my son is just coming out of one. Maybe your daughter is just going into one. Good Luck!!
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:20 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Get up and enjoy the day with you daughter.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 10:40 PM on May. 17, 2009