how normal is bleeding early on in a pregnancy?

this is my 3rd pregnancy. i found out on mother's day that i was pregnant with two different urine tests. it was only about 5 days after my missed period. a few days go by and i start bleeding. not heavily, but enough that if i had not known i was pregnant i would have assumed it was my period. how normal (if at all) is this kind of bleeding so early on in a pregnancy? i'm really hoping my body hasn't rejected this pregnancy or anything, i of course have called to set up a dr. appointment anyway, but it's not for a few days. any advice/opinions?
thanks

juliness

Asked by juliness at 8:38 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• not "normal", call you Dr...like asap.
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 8:40 AM on May. 15, 2009

• light bleeding or spotting is normal, some cramping is normal but cramping and bleeding is not. A regular flow in your eyes it not normal either. See your doctor.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:41 AM on May. 15, 2009

• i had bleeding too soon after finding out i was pregnant. i was still nursing my daughter so mine could have been caused by that. i went in for a dr appt ASAP anyway, and everything was fine. my doc said some women will have some light bleeding, but it is a good idea to see the doc and make sure everything is ok.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 9:11 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I don't think it's normal to bleed that much. I didn't even spot. Some people do...but bleeding like a period is probably not a good sign. Especially this early on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I wouldnt say that bleeding in early pregnancy is normal (no matter the amount of blood) but it isnt uncommon.
    If you bleed before your period it could be the implantation bleeding, few days after in most cases it may be the placenta embeding in your uterus or something that is called breakthrough bleeding caused with a hormonal changes.
    I even read somewhere about softening of the cervix caused by hormones as well.
    You didnt mention any cramping which could be a sign of etopic pregnancy or m/c.
    Good luck to you!
    polkamama

Answer by polkamama at 10:04 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Congrats to you mama! As for the bleeding, as long as there is no cramping I would think that it is possibly the placenta imbedding as the PP mentioned... I have known ladies who have bled all throughout there pregnancies and come out with healthy little ones.. Sending lots of luck your way!! <3
    MamaMulder

Answer by MamaMulder at 10:28 AM on May. 15, 2009

• sigh. this question is now moot. i had a miscarriage. i just got back from the emergency room. i am pregnant no longer. :( :( :(
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 5:43 PM on May. 15, 2009