Need help builing a parade float?

Every year our annual fairs invite families to enter the "baby parade" and the families that go all out enter with elaborate floats. Two years ago my family and friends built a life-size Holiday Barbie Box for our then 6 year old daughter. We entered our first ever float division and we won first place ribbons in all events and several "Best of Show" Ribbons. We were amazed, super proud and having the best time. We were then asked to enter the Mummer's Parade in Philadelphia. What a great day! The float has since been passed down to a new family who have converted it into a playhouse but I've been approached by many, many people over the last two years (& w/float season upon us) so many families are asking "how do we start to build a float", "how do we begin", "how much money do we need"? If you need help, I'll be glad to share, please just let me know. My daughter could even give you some pointers. wink! Jodie Shultz-Young

momtobugz

Asked by momtobugz at 9:20 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Hey Jodie! Great to see you posted this! Couldn't agree more...it helps to know someone who's done this before. We've been doing it for generations. We're not professional float people but we've been in the Mummer's Parade too and it seems the home-made things are far more appreciated and respected. If you need more pointers, let me know. My Mom's helped with the girls' costumes for years. I will say first off, expect the unexpected. And involve the kids from start to finish. Fun family quality time.
    roundtheworldma

Answer by roundtheworldma at 12:38 PM on May. 15, 2009