Do formula fed babies gain weight faster than breastfed babies?

I am not meaning for this to turn into a FFvsBF debate AT ALL, thank you.

I'm just curious. My daughter is exclusively formula fed and weighs about 15 pounds at 4.5 months. She's in the 75% for her age, which is good.

My fiance's boss has a son that's a few weeks younger than my daughter. He weighs about 22 pounds, and he's formula fed as well.

I dunno, it just sounds fishy. I don't know if they started him on rice cereal early or what. Could it maybe just be their individual metabolisms? That little boy isn't the only 4 month old I know of that weighs that much.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 9:23 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was 15lbs at 6 months and is formula fed. So I think it just depends on the baby. We started him on cereal at about 5 months. He was always in the 25% percentile.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Oh yes, his weight being heavier could be for several reasons. My daughter has a friend who was born a few weeks after her. They're now about 2 1/2. Anyway, Missy (my daughter's friend) has always been a pudgy thing. She was exclusively formula fed. Not only that, but both of her parents are pretty tall. She's a huge kid! Especially when compared to my daughter. She was breastfed. Her dad and I aren't extremely short, but he's average height and I'm 5'3''. Anyway - a lady at WIC and a home-visit nurse I used told me that formula fed babies do tend to gain weight at a quicker pace. Which means that for kids whose health could be negatively affected by rapid weight gain, they just have to be monitored w/ their formula intake more closely.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 9:29 AM on May. 15, 2009

• It depends on the baby. Not the food. My son was formula fed and was always 50-75 percentile. His girlfriend that is 6 weeks older was also formula after about 3 months and she is STILL tiny. She's 16 months old and only weighs 17 lbs. It just depends on the child
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:30 AM on May. 15, 2009

• My son, @ 4 months, was 18 lbs and was FF. I think it just depends on the baby as well. My SIL's neice just turned 2 and her measurements are off the chart, seriously, and were when she was a baby too. She was measure over 100 %tile. Now, she is measuring as an average 3 year old. Their pediatrician sent them to an endocritologist, bone doctor, to see if there was something wrong. Thankfully, he didn't find anything but a girl who is just tall/big for her age.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:45 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I think it depends on the child. My daughter was not gaining weight/had eating issues on breastmilk so we supplimented and she gained so fast! To be fair, she was on formula designed to pack on the pounds and was only on it for 2 weeks. She's been formula feed since then and still is in the lower 10% of weight. She's jsut a small child. Had she latched correctly, supply issues, etc. ... I think she's still be a small child. I was too. Right now she's 2 (or will be Sunday) and weights 23 lbs. She eats like a horse too! She's just small.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I think it just depends on the child. My first son didn't have formula until he was 3 months old. He was 13 lbs 6 oz at his two month check up. My second son only had formula, and he was 13.13 at his two month check up, so they were both pretty much the same size throughout their first year.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 9:59 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Well i ONLY breastfed, and my daughter has been in the 95th percentile in height since she was a baby. She has leaned up quite a bit from growing so tall, but when she as a baby....she was a FAT lil thing. She was in the 95th percentile in weight until she was 2 years old, then she REALLY started to grow tall & lean. I'm sure most of it has to do with genetics. But, i HAVE heard that kids who are bottle fed end up at a larger weight in the longrun than babies who are breastfed. This is what my midwife told me. I never bottle fed, so i don't really know.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:06 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Yes.

My youngest daughter was eerily skinny-looking to me until I started formula. It has a bunch of extra fats in it that they don't really need, we're just accustomed to seeing pudgy babies because ff'ing is so common.
    nobakecheezcake

Answer by nobakecheezcake at 10:19 AM on May. 15, 2009

• mines breast and formula fed. 4 mos and 14 lbs
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 10:39 AM on May. 15, 2009

• My daughter is 10 months old, formula-fed, and about 16.5 pounds. In my daughter's case, the answer is no.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:46 AM on May. 15, 2009