Your Favorite Parenting Book?

I am looking for A really good parenting book for dealing with children and disipline up to age 5 or 6. I watch toddler and preschool age kids as well as wanting some advice for my own 5 yr old so it can't be a spanking book.

Lorelai

Asked by Lorelai at 9:35 AM on May. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son is only 1 years old, but I really like the Super Nanny show. I think she has some really great ideas for kids of alll ages. I would check out her book.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:38 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Parenting with Grace: How to Raise (almost) Perfect Kids by Gregory and Lisa Popcak. It's Catholic, but the discipline methods in it work for any kids. It's a non-spanking based discipline that lists dozens of different tools parents can use for different behaviors.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:49 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I have two favorites; they should both be available at your local library: Touchpoints by T. Berry Brazelton (www.touchpoints.org) and Your Baby and Child by Penelope Leach (http://www.randomhouse.com/author/results.pperl?authorid=16987)

Answer by rkoloms at 10:04 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I have a Love & Logic book for early childhood. I think the name is Love & Logic Magic for Early Childhood. It's geared for children 6 and under. You can get it from loveandlogic.com. We started using it with our 20 month old twins when they were less than 18 months and it was really like "Magic" for us. The technique is pretty simple and easy to use, though it did take us a couple of weeks before it felt natural.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:09 AM on May. 15, 2009

• 1-2-3 It's Magic is the only parenting book I have ever read and liked. It is a commonsense approach to discipline without spanking. It is an excellent book and method.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:52 AM on May. 15, 2009

• One of my favs was positive discipline for preschoolers. That book really helped me a lot. I don't know if you will be watching younger ones, but if you do I highly recomend that book.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:27 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Between Parent and Child by Haim Ginott. It teaches you how to communicate effectively with children of all ages. It's our parenting bible.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 12:39 PM on May. 15, 2009

• i am going to second 1-2-3 magic. Its simple and effective. The book can be read in a day, and there is also a DVD that you might be able to get from the library.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 2:23 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Love and Logic for sure and also Attatchment Parenting. Who doesn't love that?
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:56 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I use the Bible.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 6:48 PM on May. 15, 2009