what to do with a baby that doesn't want baby food?

My 8 month old has decided that he's all grown up and is refusing his food and demanding mine. So what the heck do I do? he hasn't tried enough foods for me to be comfortable feeding him what we eat.

gypsymama532

Asked by gypsymama532 at 9:57 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• take some veggies that you know don't have links to allergies, mash them up with a fork & try that. My daughter did not like baby food from a jar AT ALL. BUT, I learned that she will eat whatever I'm eating, as long as it was cut up good or smashed. Fresh fruits & veggies hold much more vitamins anyways than the jarred crap. I was eventually glad that my daughter would not eat jarred baby food. She ate all fresh, organic stuff instead.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:02 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Mine wouldn't eat jar food starting at 5 months. I had to home make babyfood. He did fine then.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:06 AM on May. 15, 2009

• feed him your food
    smal pieces
    my son was on table food at that age
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:07 AM on May. 15, 2009

• First be thankful you don't have to spend the money on baby food anymore. Feed him yours or buy some smaller cans of veggies you know he hasn't had a reaction to. My youngest refused to eat baby food..ever. It was kind of a pain, but lots cheaper.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:26 AM on May. 15, 2009

• My son refused baby food around that age too. We just started him on chicken and mashed potatoes and similar foods. His favorite is meat though!! He loves steak....it's weird to see a 10 month old love the heck out of red meat.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 10:41 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Have you ever tasted jarred baby food? besides being more expensive than home made, being unsure of what is really in it, it tastes nasty.
    Keep in mind that solids given to babies before they turn one are for the experience of eating; nutrition continues to come from breastmilk or formula.
    Great early foods for babies are avocado, baked sweet potato, pureed peas, cooked and mashed beans.
    Avoid the allergy trigger foods before baby turns one, this is not a complete list, but includes egg white, wheat, soy, dairy, strawberries, citrus. Nuts, chocolate and honey should not be given before age two.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers, and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron; you should be able to find it at your local library, and you can find more information at www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 11:31 AM on May. 15, 2009

• feed the child table food im a mom of 5 children 2 of which are 1yr twins and they were all on table food at this age i will give you some ideas but keep in mind it needs to be size appropriate and some of it may be for when your child is more use to table food (the harder stuff) but it wont take long after it is all introduced
    cheerios &banana - soft fruitbars.. any pasta/just butter/cold with caned fruit whatever..cottage cheese...cheese/string/shreded...bread. ...mash potato..diced potato of any kind..broccoli cooked very tender any fresh veggie cooked tender
    and don't worry if it don't look like the combo you would eat just keep a variety and you wont have a picky eater and really at this point any thing really goes as long as the child can mush it ,don't get choked and if that happens and it will(because their not used to chewing and just want to swalow they learn to chew) they usualley get it DONTget excited
    little_momma_5

Answer by little_momma_5 at 12:41 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Feed him some select things off your plate.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:51 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Stay away from honey and peanutbutter do to allergies, but other than that let him eat in small or mushed up portions what you are eating, spare yourself the expense of baby food.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:27 PM on May. 15, 2009

• we never fed our daughter baby food. we waited until she was ready for normal food and by 8 months she was eating whatever we ate. food in the first year is to teach them how to eat, not for nutrition. i never understood how slurping liquid from a spoon was really teaching them anything about how to eat (put food in mouth, mush up with gums, swallow) it just teaches how to swallow liquid from a spoon instead of a boob or bottle. not that there is anything wrong with feeding baby food. i have nothing against it i just dont find it necessary

sarahrm

Answer by sarahrm at 4:12 PM on May. 15, 2009