planting lilacs

Has anyone ever planted a lilac bush that was literally a twig only about 4" tall? I just ordered one from Michigan Bulb that is supposed to bloom all summer, and I thought it would be bigger. It says it gets 4 - 6 feet tall, and almost that big around. Since I am planting it in the middle of the yard, how do I protect it until it gets bigger?

PSMother

Asked by PSMother at 10:04 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Lilac bushes grow fairly quickly once they are established. Mine are currently over 12 feet tall. Yes, they start as twigs.

I'd recommend putting a fence around it! Animals will leave it alone, it's hubbies with lawn mowers that are the greatest danger!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:21 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Is it really only 4" tall? Or 4' Talll? Deer shouldn't bother it?? Also A little Wire fence unril it gets large & established! Good Luck! we have Several & we do Love them!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 11:39 AM on May. 15, 2009

• They grow quite large. I would plant it more on the side of your yard, almost like a privacy hedge.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 12:01 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Yes Linda, it's only 4 inches tall ~ a seedling. But it's funny b/c it already has a tiny bloom on it. As for planting on the side, we only have a postage sized front yard and not much more room in the back. We live in a city (not a big one) where the houses are very close together. It says to give it full sun, and if I plant it on the side, between houses, it won't get much sun at all. There is already too much shade there b/c of 2 trees, and of course the houses... The back yard is mostly shade also. But I love lilacs and HAD to have a bush that gives flowers all summer long!
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 11:13 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Not sure what version of lilac you've gotten, but most don't bloom all summer. You can dead head the old blooms for next years growth but most only have blooms for a few weeks-depending on the weather. Some years the frost gets them after only a few days.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 9:45 AM on May. 16, 2009

• This is a new variety called Josee Reblooming Lilac. You can find it at www.MichiganBulb.com

PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 11:12 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I'm so envious! I would LOVE to have lilac bushes in our yard, but I was reading the care directions online and they were talking about pruning after the first flowering and such, to which I am no good at. Plants that work well for me are ones that can be planted and then left alone to grow on their own without human help....lol.
    Ah, the smell of lilacs! I can imagine it now! {sigh}
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:52 AM on May. 19, 2009

• This is a variety that does well in a large pot on a deck or a patio. I am considering getting one of these myself from spring hill.
    jenniferinvt23

Answer by jenniferinvt23 at 6:57 PM on May. 21, 2009