Birthday presents for son's classmates?

My son is 4 yo and in preschool. He just started getting invites to classmates birthday parties. I'm new to this. How much should we spend on a gift? Is a $25 gift card to Target too much? Would a t-shirt and a $15 gift card be okay? A toy gift with a gift receipt attached?

javagirl328

Asked by javagirl328 at 10:11 AM on May. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• You are going to be getting so many of these invites, so I wouldn't spend too much. I think a gift of 10-15 dollars is perfectly acceptable, and include a gift reciept in case of any dulpicates.
    WishyClarkson

Answer by WishyClarkson at 10:39 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I wouldn't spend more than $15 on a child. That is plenty for a nonrelative. Always include a gift reciept. A gift card to a store is always a good idea and kids of any age love those.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:51 AM on May. 15, 2009

• 10 bucks would be fine.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:26 AM on May. 15, 2009

• $10-$15
    Sometimes I find great things on sale for cheaper :
    )
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 11:31 AM on May. 15, 2009

• For younger kids we spend 10 bucks, After about age 6 we spend $15. If they are not related to us that is the rule. With our family we generally spend a bit more.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:28 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Spending $10 is fine. When my daughter was small, we would pick a gift or two for the school year, and buy a bunch to have on hand. One of the favorites was called The Big Book of Paper Airplanes.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:29 PM on May. 15, 2009

• We usually spent around 12-15 dollars on gifts for my kids friend's birthday presents. If they were really close friends or family we would spend a little more, up to about 20-25.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:25 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Just a lil advice, at the end of Christmas sales at walmart, stock up on on sale toys, bathsoaps, ect....and store them in a closet to give out during the rest of the year for birthdays and the like. I got a bunch of $10-15 toys/gadgets/bathsoaps for around $1.25 a piece.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 6:43 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I am fond of giving/receiving gift cards to Toys R Us (can be used online, if there isn't one near you), as cards can be pooled together to buy a bigger ticket item or two. With younger children, I give a $10-$20 gift card (depending on how well I know the child, and how much planning the parents went through with the party--ie: if they rented a play place or hired an entertainer vs. a simple home party), and include a small stuffed animal--whatever is "in" like Beanie Babies, Webkins, etc.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:24 PM on May. 15, 2009

• We almost always give books as presents. They are not junk gifts, like some toys can be, and you can pick one that is appropriate for the age.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 10:37 PM on May. 17, 2009