Religious shunning?

I am wondering how many religions practicing shunning in one way or another? And exactly for what reasons/offenses this would be done?

I know Jehovahs Witnesses, and Amish practice this, but do not know much details on that.

Anyone know?

WishyClarkson

Asked by WishyClarkson at 10:17 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• As a christian, shunning someone would go against the very heart of God and the foundation of my faith in him. There are circumstances that call for boundaries with people because of their own behavior, but as a christian, I don't feel I ever have the right to just completely cut off the relationship with another person. If God can forgive someone 70 x 7 times, then so can I.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:17 PM on May. 15, 2009

• satanism doesnt practice shunning......i dont know if all southern baptist do or not, but my husbands families church (not his family) no longer talk to my hubby because hes married to me. (my husbands not religious either, but they forgave him for that, till he married me)

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 10:29 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I know some (SOME...very few) Christians have mentioned on here that they are not to talk to non-believers....or they are not supposed to learn about other religions. I'm not sure what denomination that would be, or if it's just a personal choice.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:13 AM on May. 15, 2009

• My mom's Southern Baptist church shunned my sister because she had a child out of wedlock and wouldn't go before the congregation and apologize to everyone. Not all Baptist churches do that, but my mom's did. And that's one of the many reasons why I will never set foot in her church again.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:16 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I don't know, but I do have to say that Jesus didn't shun people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Our goal as Chistians is to share the story of salvation with everyone. That is our purpose as Christians. God calls us to many roads in our lives, but through it all we're to share the gospel.

Now how can we do this if we don't talk to non-believers? Doesn't make much sense to me!

mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 12:04 PM on May. 15, 2009

• It doesn't make sense mmmommy but it is still done.

The only ones I know of are things that have already been said. Some baptists, JWs and the Amish.
    smull1

Answer by smull1 at 12:14 PM on May. 15, 2009

• That's right anon, Jesus didn't shun anyone. So how can a Christian turn their backs on anybody, regardless of religion? As Christians we are taught to love one another, and to not judge others because God is the only one who is truly capable of judging another person. It is true, Southern Baptists do have a history of shunning people who do not believe in their way of life. I do not agree with that. My husband's family is Southern Baptist, and his grandfather is the preacher of their rather large church. However, they do not believe this way for the most part, and they did not shun us or anything when I got pregnant in high school, or when we got married in our senior year of high school. So there are some truly Christian Southern Baptist people still out there, not all are that way!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:14 PM on May. 15, 2009

• She didn't ask if a christian should shun or not, she asked which faiths do shun. And nobody can deny that there are some out there that practice shunning.
    smull1

Answer by smull1 at 12:19 PM on May. 15, 2009

• In a way, some followers of Hindu religions follow shunning.

But that is usually not a punishment for breaking a religious idea/law, but part of the 'caste' system of the regions of India (and other countries). People of different castes are forbidden from marrying each other and the lowest caste placements are also usually shunned by other, higher castes and it is considered bad to speak to the lower caste members. It may have once been based in the reiligon, but I think its more of a social practice now.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm off base...
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 12:32 PM on May. 15, 2009