How can I get my 1 1/2 year old to EAT?

We have tryed and tryed and He eats very little and spits it out quite often, we are worried that he is not getting alot of baby fat. He eats everyday but just hardly anything substantial. Please give me some advice.

GammaGump

Asked by GammaGump at 10:21 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Food & Drink

• we had the same problem. still do sometimes, a year later. its not like we can force them to eat, right? but, we found this drink. its called Kid's Essentials. they're at just about every grocery store. we give them to her on days when she wont eat a lot. that way, at least she's getting something.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 10:25 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Let him get actually hungry just to see what happens try not to feed him for awhile (this is what I do to my kids) I hate sitting at the table thinking I am going to have a nice quiet dinner with the family and there goes my kids I don't like it or I don't want it aarrgg!! It makes me soooo very mad I just want to slap them...lol or feed them first and I will eat later (I have tried that once and they still come back for something) They have eaten but they interupt me while I am eating there is no end to this....aarrgg!!!

Just let him get hungry he will let you know just serve him alittle so he can grab and walk away but be close and watch. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:28 AM on May. 15, 2009

• A 1 yr old isn't going to eat a lot to begin with. They will get what they need from the foods they eat. There are many textures a tastes young kids don't like, just keep offering foods and he will eat what he wants and will eventually try new things. Give him time. Also, feed him when he acts hungry not because the clock says it is mealtime. For added nutrients give him a Pediasure.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:13 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Give him some frozen peas and frozen blueberries; she will roll them around and eat a few. Make sure that he is drinking lots of water. Tofu chunks and cooked beans are good finger food, too.
    Whole wheat rotini or another finger size pasta, with a dish of marinara to dunk. Make him smoothies: frozen blueberries, frozen banana chunks, enriched soy milk or apple juice, plain yogurt (the real kind, with live cultures and without gelatin), maple syrup, kale or spinach; throw it all in the blender and give her a fun cup and straw.
    Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron is a great book on feeding babies and toddlers; you should be able to find it at your local library; some of the information is on the website: www.superbabyfood.com
    Good luck, stay calm and positive and know that this will pass.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:24 PM on May. 15, 2009