Why do people think it's ok to pay their rent late?

HisMomsADiva

Asked by HisMomsADiva at 10:23 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• lol
    I think if you know you're going to be late, the least you could do is let your landlord know before hand. Tell them why, and tell them when you'll have the money by. And then, have the money when you said you would!
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 10:42 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I'm sure they don't think it's okay. They probably don't get paid until a couple days after it's due or something. Right now it's hard to pay anything anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Why do landlords make them responsible for paying rent on the 1st knowing they don't get paid until the 6th?

Answer by admckenzie at 10:36 AM on May. 15, 2009

Then you plan ahead and pay the rent when your last check of the month arrives not the first.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 10:46 AM on May. 15, 2009

Landlords also have a mortgage to pay! So if their mortgage is due the first week of every month, then it's important for the renters to pay in time. We don't mind a few days late as we have more than enough saved to pay the mortgage, however, it's nice to have it on the 1st. It shows that the renters are responsible. And if you are a renter, it's good for when you do move and need references, the landlord can say you paid on time every month!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on May. 15, 2009

And that's why I give my renters a 15 day grace period. Rent is due on the 1st, but you have up until the 15th to get it to me. After the 15th, you are charge a $25 late fee. Today is the 15th. I have not received my rent as of yet, nor have I been notified that it was going to be late. I think that is just irresponsible. If I can pay my mortgage on time, they should plan ahead to pay thier rent on time.
    HisMomsADiva

Answer by HisMomsADiva at 11:15 AM on May. 15, 2009

• idk
    i think it is rude
    the latest i have ever paid was the 2nd instead of first
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 11:26 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Why don't landlords stop by and get the rent?
    My landlord is something else when he bought the rental home we live in he said I will be over to get the rent ok do you know how many times we have had to call him and remind him to come get the rent check. Its not like he would stop by and we wouldn't be here. I do at home daycare and I am always home.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 12:32 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I'd rather be a few months ahead in advance with rent paid then to be behind
    Anonymous

• Who gets paid on the 6th? When I was in the Navy I got paid on the 1st and the 15th. Now that I'm not in, my husband who works for a computer company also gets paid on the 1st and the 15th. How are the landlords supposed to know when you get paid? They can't make the rent due on a different day for each tenant. Budget your money and pay on time.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:51 PM on May. 15, 2009