My 5 year old "flaps" his arms.

My 5 year olds son flaps his arms when he gets excited. He does not show any autistic signs. Has anyone else ever experienced this with a child?

lisalese74

Asked by lisalese74 at 10:45 AM on May. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am an arm flapper. Find myself still doing it when I am extremely excited. Not sure why I do it but I always have. I have been made fun of by my family for this and over time learned to hide my emotions. My son is an arm flapper too he is nearly 7 years old. My family started teasing him about it and I cut off all contact until they agreed to leave him alone. I want my son to show his emotions however he wants. If you child is not showing any other symptoms of Autism I would just chalk it up to a quirk you little one has. My son is not Autistic like me he is gifted. Maybe your child is just very intelligent.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I flap my hands when excited too, I always have.
    If you look at a list of autism signs, you'll find most of them apply to perfectly normal people too. It's only when a child has lots of the signs that they may have autism.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:51 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I am a flapper to. Just my hands though. My son flaps his when he is frustrated. Its his way of getting out some anger without being mean to others. Neither of us have any forms of Autism. And like Kaycee said, most of the those signs could apply to anyone, just a matter of having more than most.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:40 PM on May. 15, 2009