Should I file for bankruptcy?

I am 21 years old stay at home mom and I have about $10,000 in debt. I am engaged to be married in oct and wondering if I should file for bankruptcy before my fiance and I get married. I have no money or job so I cant pay for anything. I just dont want my bad debt to go on my df credit. My credit is probably the lowest it could be so I dont care about that and as for loans and apartments and credit cards and bank accnts I dont have any of those and everything is in df name so I dont care about that either, a little worried once I do try and find a job in this economy if it will affect my job hunting. I just look for medical reception jobs and etc I dont have a degree. Do you guys think its a good think for me? or should figure other options. I dont know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• your debt will not go on your husbands unless you pull joint credit. 10K is too small to file on. Just pay towards what you owe what you can when you can.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 10:57 AM on May. 15, 2009

• 10,000 is not worth it to file for bankruptcy. Just try to work out some type of payment plan. Also, when you file bankruptcy that is on your credit longer. Seriously, go get a job at a fast food place. They don't pay that bad and every little bit will help.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on May. 15, 2009

• check out the rules of bankruptcy or call an attorney. I don't think you owe enough debt to file but I could be wrong.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:53 AM on May. 15, 2009

• original poster---

I cant get a job at fast food because then I cant afford daycare..day care where I live is expensive and only make anything less than 12 bucks and hour I can not do with daycare and I dont have anyone to watch my little one. I am looking for jobs but there is nothing here where I live and I mean nothing. had one for 3 days and they fired me for some unknown reason. its harder than you think I cant afford to pay any of it off
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Can family help you out?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on May. 15, 2009

• what you mean pull joint credit. how do I not do that? when I file for the marriage license??
    Anonymous

• Can you work opposite shift from your SO or have family help out? 10,000 is just not worth it. That is worse on your credit than the 10,000.

Anonymous

• no family cant help me at all no one can
    Anonymous

• No honey not for the license...any time you and hubby are applying for any thing that has a credit pull or credit check, you need to make sure that they are pulling seperate reports. Do not let them pull a joint credit report. They pull one in his name alone and one in your name alone...not one as Mr. Joe Smith and Mrs. ane Smith together.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 11:02 AM on May. 15, 2009

• oh okay so as long as he doesnt add me to any accounts or anything we are separate right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on May. 15, 2009