• In the Spotlight:

How long until you took them out in public?

I'm learning that every mom has a different opinion on this. I know where I stand, but I'm curious... How long did you all wait until you took your newborn out into the big wide world? For walks in the stroller? To the store? To church? To visit relatives?

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 10:55 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There was no waiting for us. Both of my kids were out in public the week I had them. I took them grocery shopping, drug store, every where I had to go. I had no choice. but there is no better way for you child to build up an immune system. Their bodies build up antibodies as they come in contact with certain germs.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:58 AM on May. 15, 2009

• About 10 minutes after we left the hospital.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:59 AM on May. 15, 2009

• As soon as they leave the hospital they can go out unless the doctor says otherwise. THis is what we were told by our pedi. I would of course not let strangers touch them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I would have liked to have waited longer but I had no choice. DH was deployed, my family was an entire ocean away. I toook him out when he was 4 days old, no choice. I needed groceries and had bills to pay.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:00 AM on May. 15, 2009

• With my first we had to stop at Target to buy a few outfits (he was really small) and more preemie diapers on the way home from the hospital. I obviously kept him covered and didn't let anyone near him. I also took him to daddys softball game that night, and again didn't let anyone hold or touch him. With my second we went to church a few days after we were released from the hospital. He was bout 4 days old, and again no one was aloud to touch or hold him. I kept him in the sling right close to me the whole time. Both boys are always very healthy and very rarely catch the colds that everyone else has.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 11:00 AM on May. 15, 2009

• as soon as i felt comofrtable to go out!
    chukuku

Answer by chukuku at 11:01 AM on May. 15, 2009

• 2wndrfl_btrflys! i'm with you!!! everyone keeps getting on me about taking her out so much (she's 12 days old). but she's so happy when we're active! and im a stay at home mom, with a step daughter who's almost 3. we cant just be sitting around all day. we'll go nuts. as soon as my csection healed enough for me to be comfortable, we were out and about. people freak out so much about germs. but if kids arent exposed to them early on, they won't be able to build immunities to fight sickness later.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 11:05 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I took my son out right away. But what I learned is to cover his stroller/carseat with a blanket!! Too many strangers are tempted to touch a baby when they can see her!! I don't blame them - so I removed all temptation from strangers by covering the carseat with a thin blanket.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 11:13 AM on May. 15, 2009

• yup, I took both kids out right away! As soon as I was up to going somewhere
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:13 AM on May. 15, 2009

• TLALONDE16- i do that too. plus, i carry hand sanitizer, for my SD to and i, so we aren't touching playground equipment and whatnot, then touching baby's face.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 11:17 AM on May. 15, 2009