How much should I tip?

I have an appt for later today for a full set of nails (acrylics, I guess). It's been years since I've had them put on, I have no idea how much to tip. Dumb me, I even forgot to ask how much the cost of getting it done was!
Anyone help me ????? If you could tell me in dollars, not % please. I'm not good with numbers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Depending on how much it costs is how much you'll tip. In-general, a "full set" of acrylic nails, painted, without a design, usually costs between $25-$35. It can cost more if it is a more upscale salon and/or the salon is located in a busy city where there are more people to serve and more demand for the service.

In-General, I tip people anywhere between 10%-18%. 10% if it's satisfactory, 15% if it's better than expected and 18% if I'm over the moon.

So for $25, I would tip $3.00 if it was satisfactory, $4.00 and $5 if I was thrilled.

You can always figure out what 15% is in your head by figuring out what 10% is first. 10% just moves a decimal point. If something is $25.00, move the decimal to the left ONE time and you get $2.50. $2.50 is 10% of $25. To get to 15%, it's only 5% more so you can just guestimate an additional dollar or two to get there.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:29 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Between $2-5. That is what I tip the girl that does my nails.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:16 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Well knowing the price would help determine the tip. Maybe $5.00
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on May. 15, 2009

• $2-5 for the fills you mean? I'm getting them put on from scratch today. Or do you mean $2-5 for that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on May. 15, 2009

• No it will be between 20-30 dollars depending on where you live, and I would also leave between two and five dollars. I do five dollars for the girl I have been going to for years and does a really good job.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:20 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Okay, OP here. I just called back, it's $25 for the full set + white tips. So would $5 be a good tip, if they come out good?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on May. 15, 2009

• $2-5 is good advice. Whenever I go to salons, I'll give them $5 if they did an excellent job and made me feel welcome there. Now if they just sit there doing their job, don't say a word to you, and don't do what you ask them to do, and keep on walking off to go talk to someone, or doing 2-3 people's nails at once.....well sometimes I don't tip in that case.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:25 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I hate math too but it's important to tip based on the cost of the service. This is because they're presenting to you the value of the service which also values the work of the person that gave you the service. If you tip in relation to the value of the service, you're complimenting the person for the value of the service they've given you. I'm VERY bad at math and it makes me nervous. But a rudementary system to have in place to figure out a basic method of tipping is always good to have! (or see if you have a tip calculator app on your phone).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:30 AM on May. 15, 2009

• LOL, I have a little "tip calculator" card I carry with me in my wallet. It tells me 10%, or 20%. It's just w/ getting nails done, I want to have the cash ready. Gosh, it's been toooo long since I treated myself to this!
    Thanks for all the great 'tips" ladies. (totally corny)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on May. 15, 2009

• depending on what you pay you should tip 20%. I usually can figure out 10% in my head then just double it.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 12:13 PM on May. 15, 2009