Sandals Resorts

My husband and I are looking to book a trip in December to a Sandals Resort but cant decide which one we want to go to. For anyone that has been....what hotel did you go to? Pros and Cons of the hotel and your stay? Also, how long of a drive from the airport to your hotel was it? Thanks!

falanlee

Asked by falanlee at 11:16 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Travel

• We went to Sandals in Jamaica, it was the one that has a private island that you can ferry to with a nice restaurant, I forget the name, I think there are 3 in Jamaica..... It was maybe 30 mins from the airport. We had a BLAST and ate like pigs and drank like fishes and had an all around fabulous time. I would go again in a second. We are relaxers though...perfectly happy to stay within the resort for the week sunning, simming, reading, etc...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:35 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Be sure that an all inclusive is right for you. We travel, we don't vacation. We like to go exploring, visiting local grocery stores and neighborhood restaurants.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:57 AM on May. 15, 2009

• We went to a Sandals resort for our honeymoon in St. Lucia. It was nice and all, but the food wasn't all that great. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't all that good, either. I might be considered picky when it comes to food, though. The sandals resort picked us up from the airport and I don't remember how long the drive was. The resort also had snorkeling tours for free and we did that one day. We did an extra trip through the resort that cost money and that was really neat. It was a tour of the island and we went biking and then went to a waterfall. The tour guide had all the couples go over to the waterfall and then told the husbands to pick up their wives and took our pictures under the waterfall. This was one couple at a time. It was kind of funny. If you want to just relax, it was a good time. If you are more of the go and sight see type, which we are, I would recommend something else.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:14 PM on May. 15, 2009

• If you go to Jamaica plan on staying in your resort all the time, its not too safe otherwise Id pick a different island if I were you, lots of horrible things happened to us when we went.
    kellysamom2b

Answer by kellysamom2b at 9:58 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I went to Jaimaca and nothing happened to us!! We had an awesome time, so much when we are going on our cruise, one of the ships ports is ochos rios jamaica and May2011 we are getting married in Jamaica. Everyone has there own expierence i guess but we had an awesome time, and barely were in our room. For the amount of money you spend its stupid to stay in your room!!
    TristiansMommy

Answer by TristiansMommy at 1:54 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I've been to Jamaica twice and been off the resort each time. It was wonderful. The locals were gracious, friendly and nice. I udnerstand that people have different experiences, but for us, it is our getaway whenever we need a vacation.

I've never stayed at the Sandals there but a friend got married at the one in Negril and said ti was absolutely amazing. It was little pricey, but they said that it was romantic and wonderful!
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 1:40 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Jamaica is beautiful and all, we werent in our rooms much either but their laws are much different and our tour bus driver ran over a innocent bystander, killed him and said it was okay we need to just drive, they tried to cover it up and dropped us tourists off nowhere near our hotel just to get away, it was awful but I guess it wont happen to everyone, as far as the beaches and weather its great!
    kellysamom2b

Answer by kellysamom2b at 1:40 PM on May. 16, 2009

• wow that is crazy!!
    TristiansMommy

Answer by TristiansMommy at 2:06 PM on May. 16, 2009

• holy crap! what a vacation from hell!
    falanlee

Answer by falanlee at 3:10 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Stayed at the Ocho Rios Grande in Jamaica. Shuttle from airport was less than 2 hours with a stop at a local store/bar which was pretty cool. We went through our conceirge to book our tours which are all Sandal sponsored, they warn not to do others. All transportation was included with our tours/trips. We had an awesome time and went in July 2008. We have our next trip booked for October 2009 to the same resort. This time we will take advantage of the resort recreation and night entertainment. Our food was fantastic (7 restaraunts) and the drinks never stopped flowing. Another surprise for me was that the drinks aren't weak or watered down. Can only get Red Stripe beer though. We looked into other Sandals resorts but decided Ocho Rios had SO much to do .that we didn't experience last time we just had to go back, plus all the wonderful memories! I have heard the Montego Bay resorts have a lot of airport noise, one more so.
    haston

Answer by haston at 10:57 PM on May. 17, 2009