What should I do for my daughter

I want her to go to a differant school but she is not likeing that, she says that she will not have a socail life.she is in middle school sixth grade.HELP ME!!!!

Family-Fun101

Asked by Family-Fun101 at 11:19 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Why do you want her to attend a different school?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on May. 15, 2009

• We need more information - why do you want her to go to a different school?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:43 AM on May. 15, 2009

• You are the parent and you get to make the decision. Explain your reasons to her: better academics, better neighborhood, easier commute, etc. See if the new school has a group on CafeMom, and find girls her age who attend the new school.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:41 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Children do not go to school for a social life.
    Anonymous

• More info is needed. For example, why do you want her to go to a different school? Maybe you should sit down with her and talk to her about your reasons and get her oprinion. Even though she is a child, she should have a chance to give her reasons why she doesn't want to go to a new school. Children deserve options too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:09 PM on May. 15, 2009

• While a child doesn't go to school for a social life. The social skills they learn there are VERY important to your child's well being.

Is she a child who makes friends easily? If yes I imagine she will be fine in a new school. If no then there might be something you need to look at and weigh against the benifits of this new school.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 6:43 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I agree that a social life isn't important for schoolIF SHE'S GOING TO A MONASTARY! WTH? Of course a social life in school is important! However, her opinion should b counted,if it's a financial thing try to explain that to her. When we moved I got my 1st cell phone so I could keep in touch with my old friends!

Poor girl I'm sure she is sooo upset. Is there a way she can meet girls from this new school somewhere other than school?Church,parks........
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 3:52 AM on May. 16, 2009

• you know I'm currently going through this same conversation with my daughter who will be starting 6th grade in the fall. we have talked about the friends factor and we are considering the local (theater) drama club, were she will still have interaction with kids from her school. Are there any local activities she could join where you are? We still haven't come to a conclusion yet. But, she is starting to see the benefits it would offer.
    mommarykaje

Answer by mommarykaje at 8:41 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Like the other posters said we need more info. I know that going to school for a social life isn't the focus but it is very important to them. Social attachements or the lack of them can affect a child's grades. Think about it, if you are miserable at a job, no coworkers to talk to, you are isolated, do you perform your best? No. We are adults and hopefully more equipped to deal with such issues but she is a kid at a vaunerable age. I would have to have a good reason for making the change at this time.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:27 AM on May. 17, 2009

• It's not up to the children. What ever your reason, I assume it's for a good reason. Just do it and talk to the counselor at the new school to find out how she can best fit in. Kids have been transferring schools at all ages for ages - it's not going to kill her. She's being overly dramatic because that's what kids that age are good at doing. She is afraid of the unknown and it's up to you to figure out a way to ease her fears (but she'll never admit she's scared).
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 11:57 PM on May. 18, 2009