I want to know?

Non-Christians~I had read somewhere that the cross symbol is really the sun god symbol used in his worship before Christians began to use it. Is this true?Also Christians~ God said we are not to make idols for ourselves. Do you feel like Jesus on a cross can be classified as one? Please explain your answer.

mo2a27

Asked by mo2a27 at 11:23 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 1 (-6 Credits)
  • I don't care what anyone says, a crucifix IS an idol. God says he did not want any graven images of himself made. I believe Jesus is God. Therefore, making any image of Jesus is making a graven image of God. Besides the gross historical inaccuracy of the well-known image of Jesus, do we really think we do God justice by having finite human beings creating representations of him?  Going to my friend's church where they give flowers to a statue or Mary, bow to her, pray to her in front of the stature and crown her statue with flowers....to me, think that's coming strangely close to worshipping.  Even if you don't feel you're worshiping the stature directly, you're involving a graven image in your worship service a little too closely for comfort for me.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:27 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Anything that takes precedence before God can be an idol. If we let anything have more importance than Him, whether it be the Bible, a cross, whatever, can be considered an idol. Its just all in how much importance/worship/etc we put upon it, and whether we keep God as the focus or not.
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:26 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I am a Christian, and Jesus is God. God-the father, Jesus-the son, and the holy ghost/spirit are a trinity. They are all one. So, no, I do not believe Jesus on the cross is considered an idol outside of God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Thank you. You make a great point. So lets say if I wear a cross necklace and I put faith in that to protect me from harm would that make it an idol?
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 11:28 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Yes, because you are putting faith in something other than God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on May. 15, 2009

• To answer your first question: Yes... the cross is the symbol for the Babylonian sun-God. There were numerous dieties that the cross symbolized before Christianity --- this is just one of them.

It's much like the swastika. People see it now & automatically think "evil" because some nutjob hijacked it in the 40's..... Truth be told, it's an ancient symbol that has always stood for good.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:35 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Thank you for that Laura1229 can you please share the link or books that can back up your statements for people who will not take your word for it. GB
    Thank you anon~you are right I would have made that cross an idol if I did that.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 11:43 AM on May. 15, 2009

• BTW People who believe in other Gods are NOT worshipping that particular piece of wood or metal or whatever. They are worshipping what it represents. Charms, fetishes and other symbols, including crucifixes, are outward symbols of their beliefs and to call the attention of their particular God to them to protect them.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:54 AM on May. 15, 2009

• Crosses have been used independently by lots of different religions all over the world, so that's not something I worry about.

But my faith doesn't actively use the cross as a symbol because it was part of the dying Jesus, we prefer to focus on a Lord that lives, even now.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:56 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I dont think that a cross is considered an idol, unless like someone before said, you expect that cross to save you. I think most people have crosses in their homes or on their jewelry as a symbol of what they believe in. Jesus on a cross represents God's son who died on the cross for us to be able to repent of our sins and live forever in Heaven with God when we leave this earth. I do not worship the cross, I worship God, and Jesus who died on that cross for me. I am not sure if it is the sun god symbol. I wouldn't be surprised because Christianity seems to have a lot in common with the pagan religions, and I think that all religions are intertwined together in some way.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:00 PM on May. 15, 2009