Why people nowadays are choosing to cremate their loved ones?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Cost is probably a factor. I know that some people just hate the idea of their body being eaten by bugs (I've had a family member that was like this). Some families just opt for a family plot at a cemetery and even if they are cremated they can still have a headstone there. I kind of like the idea of having my ashes scattered in a beautiful place that means a lot to me.

Also, I don't know how big this business has hit yet, but there are companies that can make your remains (ashes) into lab created gems to use in jewelry. I am not exactly sure how I feel about that though. They are really pretty, but for some reason it seems a little morbid to me.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:03 PM on May. 15, 2009

• with all due respect I think it's because of the fact that financing cremation is less than financing a place in the cemetery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on May. 15, 2009

• I think cost is a big factor. I also think they're going by the wishes of the deceased. Maybe they don't want their loved ones to feel guilty if they don't visit the cemetery often. It's against my religion, but I'm on the fence between burial and cremation. Both have been done for my family. I feel more at peace being able to visit the cemetery, but other's find it a burden.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 11:54 AM on May. 15, 2009

• cremation has been around for about 5000 years
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on May. 15, 2009

• My daughter is creamated, and I can tell you why.

I wanted to be able to have her with me, I couldn't imagine leaving her in Georgia in a cemetary and never being able to visit her grave. We have a beautiful baby urn and she stays with me.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 12:12 PM on May. 15, 2009

• We cremated my grandmother because she was a cheap ole broad (LOL!)...and that was what she wanted. I myself am going to be cremated because I can't imagine taking up land for some sort of morbid shrine that my immediate relatives will feel obligated to visit and/or maintain. Because face it, in a couple generations, you just become a name on the family tree anyway. I just think you don't need a headstone and flowers to remember somebody. Plus, my body will be sliced and diced and distributed to organ receivers and then to science and by the time everybody's done with it, there won't be much to bury.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 12:13 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Cost is one factor. Some people do not want their relatives to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a casket and other stuff that is just going into a hole in the ground. Other people think of the earth and have decided that instead of a hunk of meat (their dead body) going into a big vault and going into the ground to take up space they would be better off following the "ashes to ashes, dust to dust" principle and have the ashes of this body scattered in a place that they loved during their lifetime. Most religions, including Christianity believe that upon resurrection or reincarnation or whatever afterlife, if any, awaits, the deceased person gets a new body, so other than sanitation reasons, cremation makes more sense than burial, to me.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:21 PM on May. 15, 2009

• It's a personal choice, usually made by the deceased before they died. we recently cremated my Grandpa because he wanted to be and he wanted his ashes scattered over his favorite range of mountains. Some poeple don't like the idea of lying in the ground rotting...I understand that. I see nothing wrong with either choice.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 12:27 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Less expensive...and I wouldn't want my girls/g'sons/g'g'children to see my shell...I'm not there.
    starrsun

Answer by starrsun at 12:27 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Decrease the risk of Zombies!
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 12:29 PM on May. 15, 2009