my daughter is still breastfeeding .she is 19 mnths .I have try to stop her but it seems its impossible .I cry and say it hurts I can`nt feed u but she don`nt understand anything .I wanna stop her please help me how u did.

I am tired of feeding her at night.she gets up 2 times night and she just drinks for a few minutes and goes back to sleep .this has drive me crazy .plz say something from your experience.

asatyal

Asked by asatyal at 11:54 AM on May. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wore a long shirt to bed making it too much to mess with. This was also the time we put him in his bed instead of ours. If he woke up, he could still hop in between us, but I'd rub his back or hair instead of nursing. There was a little protest but after a few nights he was content with a cuddle.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 11:57 AM on May. 15, 2009

• thanks for the answer buddy ....
    how old was he at that time.It is so difficult cuz she sleeps with us .
    asatyal

Answer by asatyal at 12:00 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I used bandaids over my nipples. My daughter was a little older (2.5) so maybe she was able to understand more, but I told her that mommy had boo boos. In the night she would still check, but wouldn't force it when she saw the bandaids were still there.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 12:02 PM on May. 15, 2009

• You are the mom...stop giving in to her. I have breastfed my first two until a year and the youngest until 16 months. My middle child still wanted to nurse, and when his younger brother was born when he was 18 months he was quite insistent to keep nursing. I just had to say no. It took a couple of days of him crying about it but then he got the message that it wasn't going to happen.
    I would make sure to have a sippy cup with milk in it ready at night time and when she wakes up offer her the sippy. Do not let her nurse even if she cries. It is ok. She will soon get the message that it is over.
    I have a friend that told her LO that her boobs were broken and would only work if they had a new baby. It worked for her and the baby stopped nursing.
    Good luck you will get through weaning.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:03 PM on May. 15, 2009

• she doesnt understand
    just stop tell her no and dont give in
    if you keep giving in she knows you will again
    Anonymous

• Are you just wanted to wean from night nursing or entirely? Saying no to snacking at night is one thing, but just to all of a sudden stop nursing during the day is going to be hard on her and might be painful for you. I did child-led for the daytime. The older he got, the more eat ate at meals and nursing was just for comfort, then eventually he just needed closeness and not nursing. He was fully weaned at almost 21 months.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 12:12 PM on May. 15, 2009

• After she brushes her teeth at night, she should only have water; nursing at night at this age could lead to cavities. Give her a sippy cup of water at night; you can take her to the store and let her pick one out, tell her that big girls drink water at night time.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:46 PM on May. 15, 2009