My son still isn't saying much, should I take him to speach therapy?

My son says the normal - Mommy, Daddy, Sissy, please - sometimes thank you, hello, bye-bye. Sometimes he'll say sissy's name - but you can't really understand it. He talks up a storm - just nothing anyone can understand and he's 2years and 4 months. Shoudn't he be saying more by now? Like sentences and things like that? I'm wondering if maybe I should take him in or give it some more time.

bubbysmommy137

Asked by bubbysmommy137 at 12:06 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• call t he local child find offic ein your area and talk to them
    :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 12:07 PM on May. 15, 2009

• my SO didnt talk till he was 3....same with albert einstein! at least he's saying some stuff! if he was saying NOTHING I'd be a little worried. but it doesnt hurt to call the office and at least ask, see what they think! they might want to see him, might not be concerned at all!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:11 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Yes, have him evaluated.
    By 24 months, most kids are using 2 word phrases and have vocabularies of over 100 words. Most of those words will sound odd - he'll use sounds he can make instead of ones he can't, he'll drop whole parts of the word, he'll even make up his own sounds - but you will end up with a "translation dictionary" in your head that helps you figure out what he said.

He may be perfectly fine, just taking his time. Or there may be a problem. Have him evaluated to find out which it is.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:25 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My son didnt talk at all until he was 2 1/2 and then he just was saying one word at a time. He just turned 3 a month ago and he now says 3 to 4 word phrases but they are not usually understandable to other people. He just has a bit of a delay. I chose not to have intervention because he was progressing even though it was behind most kids his age. I would have went for private speech therapy though. I did not want anything to do with the state and I certainly didnt want them in my business. Im funny like that, I guess. Doc told me to just let him progress on his own but if he ever stopped progressing or regressed, then to let him know. Hes just a late bloomer. If it would make you feel better, then ask the doc about it. ST never hurt anyone but I don't think its always necessary.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:51 PM on May. 15, 2009