My first time going to the beach w. baby.PLEASE HELP! Is Coppertone a sunscreen for babyes only? beacuse im not sure if i got a right one.

Well tomorrow,saturday, my family is going to go to the beach (its my babies first time going to the beach, and my first time with a baby-in the beach) im concerned. Even thought i think we are gonna take a little tent to be under, i am really worried because i dont want my baby to get sun burned or anything. So yestueday i went to the store and i bought a sunscreen for baby. there was so many to choose from. well i got clear no-rub spray Copperstone ultra guard sunscreen, 70+ spf broad spectrum anti burn uvb and uva anti aging protection. i got the highest protection of 70 there where some of 50 but i thought 70 would be better, but now im thinking is it too strong??? and my baby is 5 months old in three days and it says 6 months plus. PLEASE HELP. and tell me how was your first experience at the beach, and what to look out for. Thanks.

Cristy-1208

Asked by Cristy-1208 at 12:11 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm sure what you bought will be fine, but I would recommend a fragrance-free sunscreen for babies (California Baby SPF 30) since their skin can be so sensitive. Be sure to put a sunhat on your little one too.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 12:25 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I am sure coppertone is fine, but waterbabies is made for babies 6 months and younger. I would say as long as you bought atleast a 50SPF and make sure it says UVB/UVA also and you may want to go with a sesitive also because you know babies like to put everything in their mouth and that includes their little feet and hands, so they will be tasting it! I would also look for a hat that has SPF. I bought one at target that is SPF 50 and its so cute! that way you dont really have to put the sunscreen through the hair! because that is a mess and a pain to wash out! good luck!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 12:29 PM on May. 15, 2009

• for some reason i went and answered before i read the rest of the question! sorry, 70 is fine, the dr told me anything over 50 works just the same as 50! so i dont pay the extra money. however, i would consider taking it back and getting the lotion rather than spray because if that gets in his eyes that could hurt! i took a tent the first year we went and my daughter was only 3 months, we didnt stay very long and other than taking her down to the water a few times we staied under the shade, because as my dad says...the sun is burtal at the beach its not like it is at home! but remember the sun can bounce off the water to burn too, so you want to make sure you keep a hat on the little one! but you should be fine! have fun...wish i was going to the beach! LOL
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 12:33 PM on May. 15, 2009

• You should be fine. Just re-apply every couple of hours and give a nice bath after you get home. we live at high altitude (just over a mile up) and the sun is intense. Both of my boys started with sunscreen at 4 months because it's so sunny and intense. At that point there was mostly just 15 and 30 and they were just fine.

Have fun!!!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:41 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Baby sunscreen is for babies 6 months and older. I live in Texas and I just shaded them well then used "natural" sunscreen without chemicals.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:22 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I think you're not supposed to use sunscreen on them before 6 months. Be careful with the tent too because sometimes the sun can reflect off of the sand and will still cause some burning. If there is a pavilion or something like that you can retreat to once in a while try that. I hope you don't have to travel too far to get to the beach, you may not want to be out there all day.

If it were me I would pass on the beach trip with my baby so young. But then again I've never been a big beach person anyway so that may just be me.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:23 PM on May. 15, 2009