My first time going to the beach w. baby.PLEASE HELP! Is Coppertone a sunscreen for babyes only? beacuse im not sure if i got a right one.

Well tomorrow,saturday, my family is going to go to the beach (its my babies first time going to the beach, and my first time with a baby-in the beach) im concerned. Even thought i think we are gonna take a little tent to be under, i am really worried because i dont want my baby to get sun burned or anything. So yestueday i went to the store and i bought a sunscreen for baby. there was so many to choose from. well i got clear no-rub spray Copperstone ultra guard sunscreen, 70+ spf broad spectrum anti burn uvb and uva anti aging protection. i got the highest protection of 70 there where some of 50 but i thought 70 would be better, but now im thinking is it too strong??? and my baby is 5 months old in three days and it says 6 months plus. PLEASE HELP. and tell me how was your first experience at the beach, and what to look out for. Thanks.

Cristy-1208

Asked by Cristy-1208 at 12:13 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We got the roll on Coppertone babies. It said 6 months too. We called our doctor and asked. It was headed into tball season and my son plays. We wanted to be able to go to the games and not have to keep her bundled in her carseat. Our doctor said as long as we didn't put it on her hands or feet and we got something that was PABA free we were safe. The hands and feet things, they just don't want baby eating it off their hands or feet. At that point our daughter was about 3 months old. Contact your pediatrician to see what they say. Odds are, they will tell you it is fine. The front of the label should advertise PABA free if it is. I think all of the Coppertone ones are. And my doctor said that with babies, there is no such thing as too much sun protection.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:50 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I have heard that you arent suppsoe to put any on babies under 1 but....They have huggies brand which i do believe is for younger babies... but im sure what you have is fine... I took my son to the beach at 8 months and used the huggies but he is so dark complected (he is white just dark skin tone) already i think he would of been fine with out it..... The only thing I say to watch out for are the seagulls..... lol me and my boyfriend were fishing(while his mom was watching baby) and we had shrimp as bait... bad idea we got attacked so just be careful!!!
    mommy2b17MV

Answer by mommy2b17MV at 2:03 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I took my son to the beach at 3 months old and used coppertone 50 for kids. I ok'd it with his ped and just made sure to give him a bath right away. He did great.. wasnt a big fan of the water. We went about 4 times last year and he never got burned (we also had one of those half tents! it was awesome!)
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 2:25 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My son IS SOOOO fair-skinned! We used the coppertone 50 for sensitive skin (they also make a 70 SPF) and also had him wear a hat. We got him a little swim suit and wet-suit shirt with sleeves. And make sure your baby isn't in the sun too long in any case. HAVE FUN! My son loved the beach, but wasn't so sure about his feet sinking in the sand! He liked having his feet dipped in the water.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 2:30 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I use SPF 70+ on my daughter, we've used it almost her entire life. I did find when she was little that I preferred to use California Babies Sunscreen b/c it has less chemicals in it and less of a chance of reactions. I now use 'adult' sunscreen on my daughter, broad spectrum, b/c she had laser surgery on her cleft scar last month and the baby doesn't come in broad spectrum that I've found.
    http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/browse.php?category=babysunscreen
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 3:40 PM on May. 15, 2009

• We haven't gone to the beach yet but I have gone on outside outings with my little one and was wondering the same thing about sunscreen. I called my doctor while I was at the store looking at sunscreens and she said absolutely no sunscreen until they are 6 months old. That doesn't mean you cant take your little one to the beach, but just keep her in the shade or covered up. My doctor is a little more conservative than others so yours might have a different opinion. It never hurts to call and ask.
    bouncybaby1

Answer by bouncybaby1 at 5:23 PM on May. 15, 2009