My first time going to the beach w. baby.PLEASE HELP! Is Coppertone a sunscreen for babyes only? beacuse im not sure if i got a right one.

Well tomorrow,saturday, my family is going to go to the beach (its my babies first time going to the beach, and my first time with a baby-in the beach) im concerned. Even thought i think we are gonna take a little tent to be under, i am really worried because i dont want my baby to get sun burned or anything. So yestueday i went to the store and i bought a sunscreen for baby. there was so many to choose from. well i got clear no-rub spray Copperstone ultra guard sunscreen, 70+ spf broad spectrum anti burn uvb and uva anti aging protection. i got the highest protection of 70 there where some of 50 but i thought 70 would be better, but now im thinking is it too strong??? and my baby is 5 months old in three days and it says 6 months plus. PLEASE HELP. and tell me how was your first experience at the beach, and what to look out for. Thanks.

Cristy-1208

Asked by Cristy-1208 at 12:14 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Ok first of all, I recommend California Baby sunscreen. You can usually get it at Target. They use all natural ingredients, and the main ingredient is Titanium Dioxide, which is the best sunscreen you can get because it protects from UVA and UVB rays. We have used California Baby products for over a year, and  I love the fact that is all natural and therefore safe for kids to use. I will send you the link. Remember that SPF 30+ is fine, you just need to apply it every 2 hours. Also, get your baby a hat that has SPF protection to protect the top of his head and ears.

http://www.californiababy.com/no-fragrance-spf-30-sunscreen-lotion-2-9-oz.html

http://usa.babybanz.com/Banz-Flap-Hats-p/swimwear%20-%20flap%20hats.htm

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:27 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I always used Coppertone Waterbabies. The one you got should be ok. Is it PABA free? PABA can cause a rash on sensitive skin, if you see a rash, just wash it off and get something specifically for babies. Oh make sure baby has a hat and bring along lots of water for baby as well.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 12:17 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Look at the bottle, it will say if it's for babies or not
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:18 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Also, they are one of the only sunscreens recommended for children under 6 months of age.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:28 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I agree with AprilDJC about the titanium dioxide. I haven't had my baby yet, but I plan on using California Baby products as well and I think Earth's Best also has a sunscreen for babies that uses titanium dioxide. A hat is a good idea, too, and let's face it, how cute is a baby in a hat! I also agree that you should reapply the sunscreen every 2 hours, no matter which one you use.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:59 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I can't remember what was available when my girls were babies and we took them to the beach, but I remember slathering sunscreen on them every 30 minutes, keeping a hat on them, and keeping them under the sun umbrella that we brought.

I am going to look into the advice everyone else has posted because I now have a 3 month old granddaughter and I want her to be safe. We have her sunhats and an umbrella, but there are so many more sunscreen products on the market than I remember there being.
    Thanks everyone for advice!
    Thanks for posting a great question!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:33 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My best advice is to bring a bouncer for the baby to lay in. My son loved it. Also we have a party barge and when he was a baby we brought it for him to sleep in. It was so nice to have.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 5:50 PM on May. 15, 2009