How to pre-treat carpet stains before using a carpet cleaner?

First off, I know scrubbing your carpets with a Rug Doctor is not good, but it's already been done a couple times, and that's what I'm using this time. Trust me though, I would much rather call in a professional...It just costs too much!

Can you tell me what I should pretreat the stains with before scrubbing? It's our living room carpet which is right inside the front door, so everyone tracks in dirt, mud, whatever... There is a clear path of where we all normally walk. Not to mention the line in front of the couch... Sigh... It needs help! What can I spray it with that will really get the deep stains and spots?

coffee_chick

Asked by coffee_chick at 12:14 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I usually treat stains with the rug cleaner,,full strength.

Answer by louise2 at 12:25 PM on May. 15, 2009

• i used oxi clean- the kind for clothes. I was shampooing my kitchen chairs and ran out of the pretreat stuff. So i tried oxi clean, after letting it set for 10 min. I went to wipe it off. It was cleaner then the ones i shapooed. It works great. They also sell the pretreat formulas where you rent the shampooer. Vinegar also works, mix it with a little water of course.
    I'm sure you know, but, always check a small spot before you start to do the whole thing. Just to make sure it doesn't dye it or something. Good luck- :)
    casd

Answer by casd at 12:28 PM on May. 15, 2009

• id invest in a steam cleaner...we have one and it works wonders! Theyre kinda pricey but im sure you can find a cheaper used one! For the most part you wont need anything for stains with a steam cleaner but there are a few exceptions in which case you can just squirt and carpet cleaner on it and let it sit awhile then go over it with the steam cleaner
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 12:12 AM on May. 16, 2009