Frequent braxton hicks

I am 23 weeks and I have been having alot of BH. I had them when I was pregnant with my daughter and had to be hospitalized 2 times for a night each time but never dilated. They started with her around 28 weeks. I have a doc appt on Monday the 18th but I'm wondering if I should call before that. I've been drinking more water and trying to rest on my left side and they do go away for awhile. They are not usually painful but this morning they were pretty intense now they are ok. I'm just one of those people that hate to call then find out I'm fine but it's been going on for a few weeks. Should I wait for a few more days till my appt or monitor then call if they continue?? This is my third baby so I should know if there is a need to call right??

jasey929

Asked by jasey929 at 12:44 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Are you getting enough to drink? Dehydration can cause them.
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 12:48 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I would say it doesnt hurt to call your OB office - just to double check with them. Most likely they will ask you if the BHs go away when you drink more water and when you change your physical activity. May ask if the contractions are regular and if you can time them. Most likely they will just ask you to take it easy. On the other hand your Dr knows you and may want to check your cervix.
    Its my 3rd pregnancy as well and I am as much confused by BH as you are LOL Good luck :)
    polkamama

Answer by polkamama at 12:50 PM on May. 15, 2009

• ive been getting braxton hicks pretty frequently since i was 4 months pregnant but my dr told me that it was fine and im probably just noticing them more this time around cuz im in tune with my body or whatev and not to worry about them until they are 4 minuits apart or less for an hour or more. mine have been pretty strong lately too though but im trying not to freak out cuz i know they dont feel like the labor ones. hope that helps? =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 12:51 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Thanks for the advice ladies. I will monitor them for awhile and time them. Then if they do get more frequent I will call. My OB has a doc on call every night so I can call whenever. Glad to know I'm not the only one! Thanks again ladies!
    jasey929

Answer by jasey929 at 1:15 PM on May. 15, 2009

• The basic rule of thumb is if they don't progress and get closer together and more painful then they are fine.

What I would do is talk to your doctor, whether you want to wait until your next appointment or just call, and ask him what is normal for braxton hicks, and when to worry about them. That's what I did with my dr. and it helped a lot he explained it all in detail! I just wish I could remember everything he said to me to tell you. haha.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 1:17 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Call your Dr to be sure. It their job to be sure you and your baby are safe. I would rather have the Dr tell me I have BH then go into false labor or something worse.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 2:37 PM on May. 15, 2009