How do you start up an auxiliary for a fire department?

My husband is a fireman for a small town volunteer fire department. He is possibly within the next few months, going to be the new fire chief (fingers crossed) We have roughly 10 guys on the department. I was wanting to start up an auxiliary. I am also an EMT along with one of the other wives. We are usually on scene & know the need for the auxiliary. Question is what can we do to get one started. What kinds of things do you ladies do for the aux? How does it work as far as president etc. goes.? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am really wanting to get involved & people are definately on board to do this. I really would love any help you can provide. Let me know what you think! Thank you!

emtaglover

Asked by emtaglover at 12:48 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• You need to find out how many other people are really willing to participate and how many are just willing to support the auxiliary.
    You need to get a non-profit organization status. I'm not sure how you do this, but you should be able to find out easily enough.
    At your first meeting, hold elections for Pres., VP, Secretary and a Treasurer. Discuss guidelines and "rules" and have a written copy presented at the next meeting for approval. These are important for the future auxiliary members. Also discuss goals. Talk about fundraisers. Maybe have an officer from your local fire dept. come in and offer ideas on things that they can use support with.
    When I was on our local auxiliary we had fundraisers like bake sales at local street fairs, quilt raffles, huge rummage sales (baked goods there too), put together and sell a cookbook, even made food for some meetings for which we received donations.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:43 PM on May. 15, 2009

• We also made sure our guys & gals had refreshments at fires. Coffee, donuts, water, soda were all donated by area businesses and a couple of auxiliary members transported the food/drink to the fires.
    Try to form alliances with other area organizations. We had a great relationship with the American Legion Post in town, the newspaper and the Chamber of Commerce. You have to become visible and get community support. Often the community organizations would donate money to auxiliary's fundraisers.
    Oh, some other fundraisers that we did were Valentine's Day dances for adults, held at the Legion building, and turned in store receipts for 1% reimbursement (some stores do this). I know that non profit organization status gives you a lot of opportunities!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:50 PM on May. 15, 2009