How do you start up an auxiliary for a fire department? (PIOG)

My husband is a fireman for a small town volunteer fire department. He is possibly within the next few months, going to be the new fire chief (fingers crossed) We have roughly 10 guys on the department. I was wanting to start up an auxiliary. I am also an EMT along with one of the other wives. We are usually on scene & know the need for the auxiliary. Question is what can we do to get one started. What kinds of things do you ladies do for the aux? How does it work as far as president etc. goes.? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am really wanting to get involved & people are definately on board to do this. I really would love any help you can provide. Let me know what you think! Thank you!

emtaglover

Asked by emtaglover at 12:50 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• <-- Mom of a firefighter/EMT. My son and his wife are in a very small, rural area here in Texas. They do have 5 paid members but a lot of volunteers as well. The ladies auxillary at their station is set up basically like any other service organization. First they draw up their charter..who can join, is there a board or just officers...agree how they are to be elected. How often will they meet. What they mission statement is...and what fund raisers are and are not acceptable.
    Their auxillary works hard to keep the living spaces (kitchen,bath,showers,locker room and bunk area) furnished and comfortable. Last year they raised enough money to buy a new TV and 2 loungers gfor the 2 ppl on call overnight. They also maintain a fund for families of fallen FF/EMT's.
    About 18 months ago they lost a FF in a structure fire. His wife was a SAHM with 2 kids. They were able to gift her $5000 to help out.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:29 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Oh..they also have to set up non-profit organization status so they pay no taxes on donations.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:31 PM on May. 15, 2009