What size bike should I buy for my son?

I'm so torn. I hope someone can lead me in the right direction.
Right now he has a 12" Tonka bike. He's tall for his age.
I like this bike: http://www.target.com/Boys%E2%80%99-Schwinn-16-Scorcher-Bike/dp/B000OUYOYY/qid=1242402945/ref=br_1_5/188-2496399-1101457?ie=UTF8&node=16259281&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

but I worry that he'll outgrow it quickly. I'd like to get a 20" but I dont see any 20" offered on the Target site with training wheels and he needs training wheels.

Or, do I get the 20" and use it as an incentive for him to learn to ride w/o TW? :(

Ugh. What would you do?

mrsderekjeter

Asked by mrsderekjeter at 12:52 PM on May. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Find one that when he is sitting on the seat, his toes just touch the ground. That will be the perfect size.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:56 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Yeah, thanks. I wanted it to be a surprise. Maybe I can fool him tonight, LOL and come up with some excuse.
    mrsderekjeter

Answer by mrsderekjeter at 1:09 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Oh yeah...sorry, that's the only way I know how to tell the perfect size bike. Maybe take him to a Toys R Us to look around or Wal-Mart, then walk through the toys then bikes and talk about how cool some paint jobs are and see if he would practice sit on one and you will know.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:14 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My dad used to measure our inseams to buy ours. He literally would measure the inseam on a pair of pants and then take that measurement to the store. We got new bikes for our birthdays every 3 years of so. My son has a 20 that is way too big for him that was given to him as a gift from my parents as incentive to learn without training wheels. He still doesn't ride his bike much as is, so he hasn't taken the training wheels off yet. He is 7, and stands 51 inches, if that helps at all.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:38 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Yes! That helps a lot! Thank you!!
    mrsderekjeter

Answer by mrsderekjeter at 1:44 PM on May. 15, 2009

• It may depend a lot on the bike. I had to take my son down and have him try them out. I found him a 20in that fit him when he was around 48in tall.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 2:32 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I am looking at bikes right now, myself for my son. He is 5 yrs old, 46 lbs and 42.5 inches tall. He has a 12" that he has outgrown as well. I was looking at the 16", but was concerned of him outgrewing it in 1-2 yrs. I thought about the 18", since they do come with training wheels, and he should be able to use it for at least 3 yrs I would hope. He can get on the 18" and ride it around with very little trouble. Maybe that's an option for your too. If you think an 16" he will outgrow too quickly and an 20" is pretty big, then I woul go for the 18" with training wheels. Wal-mart carries 2 18" bikes for boys with training wheels. NEXT Surge and the Kobra Razor, at least they are at my local Wal-mart, your Wal-mart could be a little different. For me, I am actually waiting for my stimulus check to come in, so I have the money to buy it for him.
    Calicomama2003

Answer by Calicomama2003 at 5:32 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Thank you! I did settle on an 18" from Walmart. I think it was the NEXT Surge. I'll let you know how we like it. I should have it by Wednesday.
    mrsderekjeter

Answer by mrsderekjeter at 3:47 PM on May. 18, 2009