When did you start potty training?

My mom says it's time to start potty traing my daughter but I'm not so sure. I have read alot about the sighns of being ready and she meets most of the criteria but she is only 16 months and I think that I should wait at least untill she is 18 months. So, when did you start potty training?

Love2BMommy77

Asked by Love2BMommy77 at 12:55 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree that 18 months is a good age because I waited until my son was 2 when I started introducing him to it. Well he wasn't fully trained until 3 1/2. I know that's not bad but knowing what I know after all the hard work and patience it entails I would have started earlier.
    avonxpress

Answer by avonxpress at 5:25 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I started potting training my girls right after they started walking good. Between 12 and 18 months..Closer to 12 months though.
    I just started sitting them on the toilet. Telling them go potty tell they go the hang of it.

Answer by louise2 at 1:01 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I started potty training my son at 2. I bought him a potty chair for his birthday and it took a while with him because he had bowel problems. but now he is fine and as of 3 months ago (he is now 3 as of Feb.) he is completely potty trained.

I think 16 months is still too young. My daughter is 18 months and I think she is still too young and so does the doc. She comes to the bathroom every time I go or my son goes. she has sat on the potty but she does not realize what it is for.
    I would go ahead and buy her a potty seat and let her just sit there while you use the bathroom. then one day she will figure it out and start doing it herself. She will get the idea and I would think that by the time she hits 2 or 21/2 she will be completely potty trained. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 1:02 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I started at 2 and a 1/2. If she can stay dry through nap, can use words to indicate need to potty(she won't tell you, but, if you know she has the ability it will be easier), can pull her pants down(again, she won't do it on her own at first, you will have to pull them down and up. But, if she has the ability, then training will be easier), shows even a slight interest in the potty or any thing to do with the bathroom and pottying, It also helps if she isn't afraid to sit on a potty. And make sure you have nothing to do for a week of intense training, ie: putting her on every 10 minutes, followed by every 30 and slowly increasing the increments. Also give her alittle more to drink during the day. Expect accidents and expect her to train during the day first, then, at night. It may take awhile and she may have many regressions...just stay consistant.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:03 PM on May. 15, 2009

• BTW, I started at 2.5 and it only took a couple days to fully have my son trained, because I waited for the signs and I stayed consistant. I also stayed home for a week during this time. I didn't use pull-ups, adn I got rid of diapers. He went straight to big boy undies.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:06 PM on May. 15, 2009