Question about non scheduled appointments with OB?

I'm 14 weeks pregnant and I've been feeling light headed for a while, and it doesn't go away when I lay down (even if I'm on my left side) or when I eat. Then today I totally passed out, and feel like it's coming again.

My OB isn't in the office on on Fridays, so I called an hour ago to talk to one of his nurses but just got her voice mail. I left a message but haven't heard back, so I'm thinking she might have taken the day off.

At this point what should I do? I feel like I need to get in right away. He has 2 other OB's that work in his office, but I don't know the exact policy on making appointments with them.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or input that would be nice. My brain doesn't seem to want to work today with all this going on, so I could really use yours =) Thanks.

julipickle2

Asked by julipickle2 at 1:00 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Normally if you feel like you are having problems its okay to see one of the others. I'm sure you wouldn't be the first and I'm sure you won't be the last.
    Although I'm pretty sure thats normal in pregnancy. But call the office and talk to one of their nurses and see what they think you should do.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 1:02 PM on May. 15, 2009

• You have to constantly call the nurses till you become a nusence for them to call you back, but you could just call the reseption and tell them you need an appoint TODAY with one of the other docs or go to the hospital Good Luck !
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 1:04 PM on May. 15, 2009

• being light headed is normal but passing out is not. You may have anemia. Your iron may be low. try eating foods high in iron. if you can't get in to see one of your doctors then go to the ER. You need to be seen. Any lose of consciousness is not good.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 1:06 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I went through exactly what your going through at about the same time in my pregnancy.

It was hormonal surges and they caused me to pass out several times. The very first time, my husband came home to find me on the kitchen floor with dinner burning on the stove. It can be very very scary!

It was explained to me that when this happens your blood pressure drops to low which causes head aces, light headness, your heart to beat very quickly (it's trying to make up for the loss in blood pressure), and can make you pass out.

When this first happen my doctor had a billion test run on me and yours may do the same to rule out anything else but they SHOULD see you ASAP!!

If you can't get a hold of the nurse CALL AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN until someone answerss you. If you still can't get through just make an emergency appointment with the other doc.

If you can't get a hold of them go the the ER to be acessed!
    Anonymous

• Thanks for your help. I called the nurse again, and she said she was sorry she hasn't gotten back to me yet, but she's waiting for my doctor to call her back, and that she was going to try him again and then let me know.

I wouldn't be as worried except when I passed out it wasn't like I just stood up too quickly. I got up slowly from laying down and was feeling fine standing there for a minute, so I reached for my husband to hand my daughter to me and WHAM! I was gone. He still had my daughter luckily. That's totally not normal for me.

So now hopefully the doctor will get back to her quickly then she'll call me right after that so I can get this resolved. I have a feeling it's either anemia or low blood pressure.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 1:48 PM on May. 15, 2009