Does single mean unattached?

My SO has a Facebook account, and on his relationship status he chose "single". He says that because we are not married, he IS technically single. But doesn't "single" mean he is not in a commited relationship?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• There is a selection of "In a relationship with....."...if he chooses not to change it to that, I would be PISSED! :) There are selections for engaged to, etc. He should choose the appropriate title, I think.

Honestly, if he won't change the selection to "in a Relationship"...I would question his commitment to your relationship and act accordingly.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 1:11 PM on May. 15, 2009

• on facebook you have the option of "in a relationship"
    so yes, single means unattached in this instance.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 1:11 PM on May. 15, 2009

• he should say in a relationship or atleast mention you as his girlfriend on his page if not I would let him be single.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 1:13 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I would make him know what single was...I would leave him. Married or not,,a committed relationship is not single. he is trying to tell you something...
    You need to have a good talk with him.

Answer by louise2 at 1:16 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Legally, single means not married.

But on facebook, there is an option between single and married and that it "in a relationship". I know that in all reality, it's petty to get so upset over a relationship status on facebook or myspace or whatever. But I would be very upset. If he cannot tell the world that he is in a relationship with you, maybe you don't need to be in a relationship.

Even if his intentions are innocent, it still LOOKS suspicious.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:39 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Facebook has an opton just like everyone else said shoot there is even one that say
    "its complicated" so single on facebook yes mean SINGLE
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 2:43 PM on May. 15, 2009

• OP

He says it's no one's business that he's in a relationship with me.
    Anonymous

• so does that mean he's ashamed of you?
    Anonymous