How to switch from formula to real milk

how should i do it, what kind of milk is best...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Pediatricians say vitamin d is best for brain development . I had no problem switching my now 1 year old. I just gave him a bottle of milk and he drank it. I didnt have to do anything special.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 1:17 PM on May. 15, 2009

• just switch. i see lots of moms mixing them so that they can ease the baby into the new milk, but i never did and have never had any problems. my kids also had to have soy formula but made the switch right to whole milk with no transitionary period and did great.

you are supposed to give them whole milk until 2yo because their brains need the extra fat to develop better.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 1:30 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My daughter didn't like milk at first. I mixed a half serving of formula and the other half milk and did that for about a week and then just added more milk and less formula each day for a week till I was down to just putting a scoop of formula in straight milk and did that for about a week and then gave it to her plain...as long as it is warm she'll drink it.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:37 PM on May. 15, 2009

• The World Health Organzation (much less influenced by the formula and dairy industries than American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of two years. Honesly, she isn't a baby cow and doesn't need cow milk.
    Offer her water in a sippy and lots of calcium rich foods; here is a great article on building bones: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html
    Good fats can be found in lots of foods, like avocado, ground flax and flax oil, ground hempseeds and hemp oil; egg yolks; olive oil,etc.
    Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron is a great book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families; you should be able to find it at your local libary; more information at www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 5:26 PM on May. 15, 2009

• cold turkey. just give milk, no more formula. if he/she spits it out [like my oldest did] mix it half and half for a few days and then try all milk again. worked for her. my youngest didnt care, drank milk right away. i was told whole milk until 2 when they can go to skim.
    AgentBrez

Answer by AgentBrez at 5:59 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Half and half it.

To start with use 4 oz. of formula and add 4 oz. of milk. If it upsets their tummy, it won't be as bad as it would if you had given them a full bottle/cup of milk. So, just watch how they react to it and after a day or two (however long you feel comfortable with) then they can probably have all whole milk.

madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 8:06 PM on May. 15, 2009