What kind of fish should I buy?

My DH loves fish and is always asking me to buy fish when we grocery shop. I have no clue what kind of fish is good or how to cook it. Can anyone give suggestions on what I should buy and how you cook it? I know this probably sounds like a stupid question but I am a vegetarian so I dont know these sorts of things...LOL.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Food & Drink

• We live in MI and have a large variety of fish selections. My personal favorite is Whitefish, very mild. My next choices would be salmon, perch and walleye.

We cook ours in the oven, no breading. Just put a little bit of melted butter, or olive oil, on top with salt & pepper and whatever other seasoning you want. Usually we have the oven at 425 for the salmon. Take it out after about 15 minutes or when it starts to get flakey. The perch, walleye and whitefish, I think, maybe take the same amount of time.

You can always go on www.foodnetwork.com and search for recipes.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 1:40 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I'm not a huge fish fan, so I like very mild fish. If broiling, I like Cod with a panko bread crumb topping. For grilling, we like tuna steaks. Just rub with a bit of olive oil and a generous amount of Emmerill's essence. Couldn't be easier.

Shrimp is super easy too and there's a thousand ways to cook it.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:10 PM on May. 15, 2009

• We buy a lot of farmraised Tilapia. You can do an egg wash then dredge it in cornmeal and fry, my son dredges in flour and then throws it in his deep fryer, I prefer baked or broiled myself. I drizzle with a tiny bit of Olive Oil, and a seasoning..sometimes salt and pepper, other times, lemon Pepper, West Texas Dust or what ever you want really. Place it in a 400 'F oven and bake..watch it carefull. Over cooked fish is like rubber to eat. Cooked just until it turns opaque. If broiling keep it about 4 " from flam, again it will cook very rapidly
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:10 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Wild caught fish is more nutricious than farm raised; it is also better for the environment.

Here is a shopping guide for fish: http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/walletcard.pdf

Answer by rkoloms at 2:19 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Much of the wild caught also contains iodine that I am allergic to so it isn't an option. Much of the wild caught also contains mercury due to polution of our waterways.

http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/fish/oceans-policy/oil-rigs-and-fish-farms/mercury-fishfarms

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:43 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I just got an awesome Salmon Taco recipe from my friend and we're making it this weekend. Let me know if that's somthing you're interested in and I'll get ya the recipe!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 2:45 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Nika75- I would love that recipe if you dont mind sharing. Thanks so much!
    Anonymous

• I'm not a big fish fan myself and my husband is allergic to most fish anyway. I do like shellfish and I like Tilapia okay. I usually swipe a bit of olive oil on fish or shrimp and then season with blackened red fish seasoning and grill it. Or I find a recipe in a cookbook or online that looks good and follow that.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:13 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I'm a big tilapia fan. I also love catfish and grouper.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 4:39 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I love tilapia, basa and salmon.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:51 PM on May. 15, 2009