• In the Spotlight:

Just a question...

I do NOT have my nipples peirced I repeat I do NOT have my nipples peirced. This is just a question! Can you breastfeed with peirced nipples? Do you have to take the peircings out? I know this is a random question I was just randomply thinking last night "can you BF with your nipples peirced" and thought id ask.

hug4akiss

Asked by hug4akiss at 1:27 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can bf with pierced nipples but you have to take the rings out cuz they can cause infection
    vampire2007

Answer by vampire2007 at 1:29 PM on May. 15, 2009

• IDK BUT I WOULD THINK YOU WOULD WANT TO TAKE THE EARRING OUT SO BABY WONT CHOKE ON IT AND TO ME THATS JUST NASTY
    kimmie123

Answer by kimmie123 at 1:35 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I had a friend who had peirced nipples. She wanted to BF and found out that one nipple could not be used because it was peirced throught the duct or whatever the milk comes out of and there was scare tissue and what not. But yay, you have to take out the rings.
    Anonymous

• haha I guess thats good to know..I have no intention of getting my nipples peirced I just wanted to know
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 2:45 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Yes you can, you just have to take out any jewelry because it can hurt baby's mouth.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:49 PM on May. 15, 2009

• LOL LOL LOL LOL
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 3:23 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Can I breastfeed after having my nipples pierced?

The answer to this question is simple, YES! After having my nipples pierced I still produced milk the same as I had with previous pregnancies. The milk flowed out through the nipple just as freely with no reduction in quantity.

Can I breastfeed with my piercings in place?

Theoretically, yes. The nipple rings or bars will not impair the flow of milk through the nipple, but safety is an issue. A nipple ring or bar can become loosened and fall out during the action of suckling and therefore poses a choking hazard to your baby. Any and all nipple piercings should be removed before breastfeeding.

Will milk flow out of the piercing holes?

Yes, it will. When I expressed milk after removing my piercing it not only shot out of the front of my nipple. But both sides as well. This will not hamper your ability to breastfeed your baby but is quite a funny sight to see.
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 3:26 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Yes, but it'd be best to take out the jewelry. I had mine pierced back in 2005. I eventually took them out. I'm pregnant now with my third child, and my doctor said there'd be no reason why I couldn't breast feed. Unless of course the scar tissue blocked a duct or something. Don't think that's gonna happen, cuz I'm already leaking at 33 weeks.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 3:34 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Will my piercings stay open while breast feeding?

While the flow of milk through the piercing hole will keep it open slightly, you will be unable to replace your jewelry without repiercing the area. Unfortunately nipple piercings close very quickly when no jewelry is in place and the expressed milk will not "hold" the area open for long.
    Anonymous