Removing your Membranes

Ok im 39 weeks pregnant now, and im waiting and waiting, i feel crampy here and there but not real strong contractions. I have herd you can remove your own membrane and that helps bring on labor, how do you do it and is it safe for you and the baby. if you have any other suggestions how i can get labor started please pass it on.

BigSurprise2

Asked by BigSurprise2 at 1:59 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I've never heard of that. I know you can ask your doctor to stip your membranes for you and they probably will. My doctor did it for me and it worked, but it doesn't work for everyone.
    Anonymous

• I meant "strip" not stip. sorry
    Anonymous

• You need to ask your doctor about stripping your own membranes. It is too dangerous to do it yourself. Stripping them never helped me anyway. There is a way you can do it but you need to get your doctor to show you how. If you do it you can cause damage to your cervix and uterus. Instead, do some serious walking.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 2:03 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I meant strip your membranes lol.
    BigSurprise2

Answer by BigSurprise2 at 2:03 PM on May. 15, 2009

• First and for most no one should be removing anthing...your doctor or midwife can STRIP your membranes but that should only be done by a health care professional and ONLY if your at risk for medical induction. It can induce infection no matter who does it and should not be common practice.

If you want some SAFE natural labor induction methods I will be glad to post them for you.
    Anonymous

• Ok please post what would be safe,
    BigSurprise2

Answer by BigSurprise2 at 2:05 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Stripping of the membranes has not shown to be useful in inducing laboir, increases the chance of infection AND it HUTS LIKE HELL!
    I know at 39 week you are uncomfortable and ready to meet your baby but it is best for you and baby to wait!
    Leangth of pregnancy is not an exact science and inducing for anything other then TRUE medical reasons can have longterm effects on you and baby and it dramaticly increases your chance of haveing a c-section.
    C-sections are a MAJOR surgery that increases your chance of having a hystrectomy, will limit your pregnancys to only 3 total. Plus baby is more likely to asthma.
    Take a deep breath and let natural take it course. More times then not that is the best plan!
    Good Luck and Happy Birthing
    Brandy @ www.MyBirthConnection.com
    HypnoMomma

Answer by HypnoMomma at 3:13 PM on May. 15, 2009