? for sahm's who are back at work

I graduated from college in '03 with a BA in communications. But because of my location I was unable to really use the degree at it's full potential. I worked as a CSR for directv for about 7 months, missed the face to face communication and grabbed the next job available, which was retail. I worked there for 3 years, then had a baby last year. I've been a sahm for a little over a year. I dont want to work again till my son is at least school-age, but I really dont want to work in retail again. since this is close to 10 years ago, is my degree basically "expired? whats your story? how long were you a sahm before getting a job again? was it hard finding one? especially to fit with your LO's and SO's schedule?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• I worked as a mathematician until I had children then stayed home with them. By the time they were in school and I was looking for a part time job, my math skills had become very rusty. I did find a job in an unrelated field teaching older people. It was very hard at first since I really didn't have training in the field other than the degrees I had that included teaching experience. And I would not be able to support a family on my job. Don't be afraid to chance fields, people do it all the time. Look around at what is available and get training for what appeals.

Answer by Bmat at 2:18 PM on May. 15, 2009

• to change fields ^^^^ (sorry)

Answer by Bmat at 2:19 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I read the classifieds and so many jobs have requirements I dont fit, some of which seem to need lots of experience and I'm doubtful they'd train me on those things... but I reckon it's worth at least giving it a shot! I didnt get the job, but a couple years ago the local radio station, which rarely hires, had an opening for a "sidkick" for some talk show. out of 80 applicants, I was 1 of 15 to be interviewed! the interview was terrible. I guess because I was so nervous. but that gave me an esteem boost for sure! but I was also working at the time, not just staying at home...ya know? maybe some companies would understand more than others...
    Anonymous

• Degrees will never expire....it's what you do with the knowledge. I have a BA in Finance. I decided to go into business on my own, even after I went back to work FT when oldest was 5, it was too stressful of a job and had to get back out. Think out of the box. If you love the face to face contact, you should do something with that where you can earn what you put in, not what someone is willing to pay you. PM me if you want to know more what I mean.
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 3:22 PM on May. 15, 2009

• A college degree never loses value. If you have any thoughts at all of staying in your field, you need to keep up to date on many levels: you should have an active profile on Linkedin, you should join a couple of networking groups, and you should keep your computer skills up to date. Always have a current resume and elevator speech; you never know who you might meet and what you might decide to do. You can also do volunteer work in your field; teach a class at local school, voluteer at a public radio or TV station.
    I do career and job search coaching; feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:58 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Your degree will never lose its value. Getting back into the work force has more to do with whether you have kept your skills up, kept up with contacts, things like that. I think your work in retail will be great along with your CSR experience and your communications degree. My background is accounting. I quit working when I had my twins, but picked up a couple bookkeeping clients very PT a couple years later. Since, then I decided that I'd rather have my own work at home business with Gold Canyon and I use all my previous skills with that. I personally chose this route as it allows me the flexibility to work my own hours make money based on my efforts. I'm not sure that I'll ever choose to go back into a traditional job.

Kim Niehaus, Manager
    Independent Demonstrator, Gold Canyon
    http://www.mygc.com/kimniehaus

justkima

Answer by justkima at 6:49 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I, like you graduated with a BS degree in Psychology then had my son so didn't want a day care to raise him so didn't go back to work. Since he got into school, I did get a job at the school he went to, and now I work from home. So I am home when he gets home from school, I am available to go to all of his events, it's really nice. I mentor people to success in all areas of their lives, all from the comfort of my own home. I use a business platform to begin the mentoring process, but oftentimes it leads into other areas of dissatisfaction and failure that people struggle with. If you have other questions, please e-mail me at freementorforlife@gmail.com or visit http://roberta.successin10steps.com Take care, Roberta
    rober

Answer by rober at 7:10 PM on May. 15, 2009