Is this normal How can I handle it

My son is going to be 3 in Aug. and is soooo talkative and running around like crazy, I can barely settle him down. He has so much energy, He doesn't listen and has developed a screaming tatrum. I'm so exhausted and he keeps going can anyone off any advice please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That's great! It sounds like he has a lot of confidence, which is a very positive thing. Your challenge is to properly socialize that energy and confidence so that it works for him instead of turning people off to him. He likely needs a lot of interaction. You may be an introvert, but he is an extrovert. Take him for visits where he can burn energy, and be around people. Parks, beaches, pools. Let him practice his social skills by engaging other children, asking them to play, asking them to share his shovels, etc. Praise him for it. COnt. below
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 2:25 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Slow him down by getting eye level and say "Wow! You have a lot of energy and you must really want to talk. It's hard to hear you while you're running around. Come and sit with me and let's talk, ok?" Then take the time to sit down and work on his conversational skills. Make sure he takes breaks and let's you talk and have him repeat back what you said so you know he listens. Repeat him too so he knows he is heard.
    kara_g.

• How is his diet? Does he consume alot of processed sugars ( reember, bread, pasta, cereals, are all processed carbs.. carbs= sugar)?

Screaming tantrums are normal, but not acceptable. What are his consiquences when he starts acting out?
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:59 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I like the first post and her suggestions are spot on. Talkativeness is a sign of confidence and friendliness. I want more than anything for my kids to be friendly and talkative to strangers like I am. Not fearless, but at least self confident enough that when someone in the store asks them a question, they will answer. I know too many people that allow others to intimidate them. This energy is completely normal and just needs to be channeled. Get a lot of outside time and let him run!!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:41 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My son is going to be 4 in August, so I know what you are going through. My son talks constantly and has a very strong personality. I sometimes try to give him time to yell and scream and sing as loud as he wants (outside only) and then tell him that sometimes it's okay to be really loud and talk alot, and sometimes we need to use our quiet voice and be still. You could also try to make a game of being still, play 'statues' and have him guess what you are and then guess what he is so he can get comfortable being still.
    You can also check out 'Happiest Toddler on the Block'. He has lots of great tips for handling tantrums. Getting down to his level and repeating what they are yelling about so they know you know what they want and how they are feeling. I works wonders if done correctly! Good luck! I'm still having troubles with my son, he's very smart and I can't 'trick' him into behaving anymore!!
    Sanbag5

Answer by Sanbag5 at 6:26 PM on May. 16, 2009