How many schools did you "try on" before finding the right fit?

My oldest son (5yrs) had his first trial day at a school. I'm choosing to send him to a private school, where they infact have days where you go and spend a few hours to see if it's a good fit or not. My son, who has never really been in any type of day care, or pre school, had a rough day. He came home very saddened and discouraged because of school. He didn't like it and he was constantly being told to sit down, he accidently knocked over some other girls tower and made her cry. He fixed it for her but did not apologize because of how he was feeling. I've really raised my kids to be free spirits and now it seems like that makes it harder for everyone. Now my questions. How many schools did you go through before finding one that works best with your child? How did you know that your child despite being the age was ready for school? Did you choose home school because of how your child wasn't ready for a classroom? I don't ....

TwinKleOut

Asked by TwinKleOut at 2:22 PM on May. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• want him to hate school and I want to make sure that he has the best learning possible. I have not yet talked to the admin about his day but from his point of view it seems like it did not go well. It's a scary thing to go through as a parent, to not be able to find a school for a child that one feels comfortable in. Is it always this hard?
    TwinKleOut

Answer by TwinKleOut at 2:23 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Do you have a Montessori near you? They value a love of learning and don't do a whole lot of sitting down.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 2:34 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I encourage my son to be a free spirit but we also teach him to care about others and to have empathy. Sounds like your son is a bit immature to be in kindergarten. Maybe keep him out another year. In the mean time teach him that he should consider others feelings and the world does not revolve around him.
    Anonymous

• We homeschool and it's what works best for us =)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:46 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Anonymous : Yes emotionally he seems unprepared. But mentally he is very prepared for learning. What do I do with that? Keep him back mentally as so he can devolop fully emotionally? It's a hard choice to make. I've been trying to teach him about others feelings but he seems to not consider it at times. It's all so stressful.
    TwinKleOut

Answer by TwinKleOut at 4:16 PM on May. 15, 2009

• It is normal for little boys to have trouble adjusting to school. You can home school him until he is eight. That is the age where boys tend to mellow out. I though would seriously consider Montessori, as they will foster the little learner in him and let him be a "free spirit". My son went to a Montessori for kindergarten and first grade. He loved it and it let him advance at his pace, so he wasn't held back at all.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 4:38 PM on May. 15, 2009

• We live in chicago, where things probably work differently than where you live. We appllied to 12 schools for kindergarten; our daugher was wait-listed for our top two choices and not accepted anywhere else. We put in a wonderful Montessori based school that was completely wrong for her; she was the youngest in her class, yet was the only one reading; she was bored out of her mind and very disruptive. When she finally was accepted at our first choice (also one block from our house), it was a tremendous improvement; she was challenged and happy.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:11 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I'm not sure if there are any Montessori based programs out here. But I will take a look. It might work out. I applied to a different school to visit this week. Maybe he will do better in another school. I will keep looking. Thank you. :)
    TwinKleOut

Answer by TwinKleOut at 7:30 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My son is in a Montessori school that goes 18 months-Kindergarten. This is his 5th year (kindergarten) and next year he is going to private school. He went to a two day visit at our top school and came home saying he did not want to go there. We still felt it was the best for him so we did not back off and after a few weeks he now seems ok with the decision.
    Anonymous

• All of the ideas and advise here sounds good. I do think that he sounds as if a pre-k would have been a good first step. Some churches even ofer a MDO 2-days a week. Maybe take baby steps into school setting. I have a 5yr. old boy that is VERY busy and smart. I too was worried about him in school. We started with a 2 day program at 3/4 yrs old, then a 5 half days a week from 4/5 yrs. old. This year he is starting at a private Catholic k-5 ( our 1st choice) and Aced thier evaluation test. I was so proud!! So to answer you, it took 2 "practice" schools to find our perfect fit. Their were things I did and did not like about the 1st two, but I learned alot along the way. AND, so did my lil guy. He is an only child, so several of his "inmature" ways as the above reply said about boys, was true. But, he is very use to the school setting and rules now. GL & keep trying. He may get better each visit, now that he knows what to expec
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on May. 16, 2009