Two questions regarding swimming and babies/toddlers...see below.

1) Is Water Babies sunscreen ok to use on a 5 month old?
2) My twins are 18 months old. What is the best floaty device to use? I have the babies first ring but they are to big and will be playing on their own, not swimming. So I want something they can play in but still keep them safe if they go out in the water.

TIA

palexander

Asked by palexander at 2:28 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it is safe to use the sunscreen on your 5 mo old. Try and use hats and clothing as much as possible to limit the amount of sunscreen you need to put on the baby.

As for the toddlers, at this age they really need to be held by an adult all the time in a big pool. They can toddle around in a shallow kiddie pool with close supervision. Avoid the arm floaties as they can fall off, deflate and are not really designed to keep baby safe. If you want to use a floating devise with them use a Coast Gaurd approved life vest.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:48 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I would try a little of the sunblock on the baby before covering him/her completely; baby skin can be so sensitive. I think my pediatrician recommended Neutragena or Water Babies sunblock last summer, though he said any baby sunblock would be ok. The first poster is also correct - hats and coverings are way better than sunblock- I even found sunblocking bathing suits and hats for my babies at target last summer.

I like to have my toddlers in life-jackets because they are slippery and it's hard to keep up with both of them.

Have fun!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:56 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Um, the sunscreen should be fine for baby, but try to avoid putting it on his face. A hat is much better. Keep baby in the shade as well if possible. As for the twins, at 18mths my DD was in a little floaty with the sun shade if we were in a big pool. Which didnt happen often. I would use a life vest if you dont want to use the floaty. Or, get a kiddie pool and just bring it with you and let them play in that. they should be fine in that.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 3:25 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Thanks. We have a family reunion at the lake next weekend. And there will be plenty of adults, but I just want something that will help keep my babies safe. I have a beach umbella that I will use. Plus we won't be there long. I am very fair and burn very easy. I have to buy my dd and boys swimsuits. Oh NO!! I forgot.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 3:34 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Yes, it is ok to use on a 5 month old. They put 6 months (I believe that's the age on the bottle) to cover their butts in case it gets in the baby's eyes or causes a reaction, etc.
    HOWEVER, most sunscreens contain WAY too many chemicals. Check this site. I prefer California Baby Sunscreen.
    http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/browse.php?category=babysunscreen
    About the 18 month olds, get life vests. They make them in toddler sizes and are designed to roll the children to their backs should they get in deep. My daughter (18 months today) likes to play on the steps. I just sit next to her. Arm floaties, rings, etc. just don't do it for her. We tried a vest, but she didn't care for it.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 3:37 PM on May. 15, 2009