Two questions regarding swimming and babies/toddlers...see below.

1) Is Water Babies sunscreen ok to use on a 5 month old?
2) My twins are 18 months old. What is the best floaty device to use? I have the babies first ring but they are to big and will be playing on their own, not swimming. So I want something they can play in but still keep them safe if they go out in the water.

palexander

Asked by palexander at 2:29 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Travel

• I have been a Red Cross swimming and lifeguarding instructor trainer for the past 25 years, and first of all while you CAN use Coppertone WaterBabies sunscreen SPF 45+, on a 5 month old, it is better recommended to use it sparingly on exposed skin, AND have your baby wear a wide brimmed hat with neck flap, a light t-shirt (short sleeved onesie), and shorts style swim suit. I also bought a family sized "pop up" shelter for beach and pool days so my children could nap and play in the shade.

As for floatation devices, I never used any as I taught my children not to become dependent on equipment until they could swim independently, BUT, I DO recommend the swimsuits that have styrofoam inserts that go all around the suit (front and back), as the foam will not deflate, and they provide a lot of buoyancy. As you baby gets bigger, or learns to swim, you can simply remove 1 or more floats. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:42 PM on May. 15, 2009

• we have a pool at our house. I got a life perserver for my youngest to wear looked like a duck and she loved it last year. This year she's 3 so I'm thinking to forgo that and help her to get use to the water withut one.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 4:39 PM on May. 16, 2009