Birthday party ideas

Well, my little man will be the big "1" on the 25th, which essentially means his birthday falls on Memorial day, that just so happens to be the day of his party too, we are having some family and friends over for a cookout and cake =) We were going to do a Handy Manny theme but he is a bit tougher to find and with the fact that we have relatives in the service we want to honor Memorial Day as well, so we are going to do red/white/blue as far as decor, balloons and plates go, I am not sure however to incorporate the Memorial Day theme in the gift bags and for the cake while still holding to the fact that its his Birthday as well. Multi tasking has never been my strong suit (lol) please bear in mind that kids getting gift bags are between the ages of 1 to 8 and both boys and girls. Thanks for any advice =)

kenzy_braysmom

Asked by kenzy_braysmom at 3:04 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we didnt have gift bags at my sons 1st bday party because the kids ages were a big range (7 m/o to 10 yrs old). but if you'd really like them, you could maybe bake some shortbread cookies with red/white/blue sprinkles, or maybe some mini flags with star confetti?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:10 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My daughter will be 1 on the 22 of may. I wanted to do a ladybug theme and i could'nt find anything ladybug except for the cake. So i went and googled party stores on line. So go to
    www.ezpartyzone.com. I order all my stuff on tues and i got it ups today and i did ground shipping.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:19 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Balls that are large enough to not be choking hazzards would suit all ages. Animal crackers or baby safe candy would be ok. Flag stickers would work too. You might find some good ideas at your local party store. You could also have baby bags and big kid bags with different treats if you want.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:20 PM on May. 15, 2009

• you know what would be super cute? if you had the bakery (if you could find one that does their own art) put a little helmet on handy manny on the cake.
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 4:16 PM on May. 15, 2009

• my sons party was a "thomas and friends/train" theme. but I didnt go overboard. I found a thomas and friends bday banner, had a custom made thomas and friends cake made at walmart, which came with a free small smash cake. everything else was solid colors, bought from the dollar store. since we just moved, I hung balloons on the street signs and at our house. we had no "games" either. the kids were happy playing with each other, playing with my sons toys, and I had a bubble machine ($10 at walmart!) out back which entertained the older kids for a good hour before it was time to go lol. for food we had 2 simple fruit trays, and chips and dip, and fruit punch, sweet tea and ginger ale to drink, and of course the cake! we sang happy bday, opened presents, hung out and had a lot of fun, then everyone left, right around the time my son got ready for his second nap!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:34 PM on May. 15, 2009