How do you teach a toddler how to write his name?

I have a three year old boy, and he will not even try to write his name. Any ideas I sure would appreciate.

Thanks
Wanda www.workaroundmom.com

Wanda39

Asked by Wanda39 at 3:08 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• http://www.printactivities.com/Tracing.html
    You might try this site (scroll down till about the middle). They have printable pages with names on them in dot to dot fashion for kids to trace. I haven't tried it yet because my son is too young, but I have heard good things about using this method so I book marked it for later.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 3:20 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Well, maybe he doesnt want to. My 3 yr old doesnt even like to color. I think its just a maturity thing. At some point, they become interested in sitting down and writing and hes probablyl just not ready. It comes on its own in time. Keep trying but his attention span is probably not there yet. Also if they ever go to half day preschool or mothers morning out, they work with them too. I havent attempted that yet, but I am considering for the fall....IF he can be potty trained by then. Hes not interested in that either...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:38 PM on May. 15, 2009

• If he's only 3, how are his fine motor skills. Does he scribble a lot, can he hold a crayon or pencil properly? And like a PP said, he may not be interested. If you want to encourage it, make it FUN. My son first wrote his name in the bathtub using bath crayons. He was about 3 1/2. Now, whenever he visits me at work, he writes his name on our whiteboards. His teacher is working with him to write his full name (well, half of it, anyways) since mostly he just goes by his initials. I'm not pushing it, though, since he's only 4 next month and he'll have plenty of time to practice before he actually has to write his full name for school.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:44 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Go to a craft store and get colord sand. Take a large baking sheet cover it in tin foil and pour the sand in. Have him copy different shapes and letters taht you draw out with your fingers. This worked really good with my sons.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:51 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My DD I thought was behind writing when I read other posts about preschoolers here on cafemom. Shes not in any actual school yet but I teach her a lot of stuff at home. She finished her preschool workbook (gives me the write answers, I circle them or she colors them, etc) so I got her a Kindergarden work book and you have to write all your answers. So now we are working on writing.

She doesn't like to color much either. So now at 3 1/2 she is just starting to be interested in writing, we have a ways to go, hopefully she can write a few letters or maybe her name by the end of summer or maybe by the time she turns 4 in November. We got her a wipe off writing book, you should look for one.
    Good luck!!
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 6:45 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Three is still young so don't push it.

Take a light colored marker, like orange, and write his name on paper. Then let him choose a darker colored marker to trace his name with. Do this with all of his coloring pages or artwork so he gets lots of practice.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:50 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I started my son at 2 1/2 and made it fun for him. The key is getting him excited about it! Luckily I sell Usborne Books and More so I knew of good books to get for him and I'd heard my customers say which ones really helped. The workbooks Writing, Reading, and Opposites are great. The flashcard were a huge help too bc he'd visually see the words we'd talk about them and get him excited then I'd have him write them in his workbook. You can see them at www.ubah.com/u2688 just look under preschool. Also we bought "special writing crayons" they were crayons that had glitter in them and he could only use those when he wrote his alphabet. That got him excited! I make a song of every word I want him to learn to B-I-N-G-O thats fun in the car! GL! PM me for questions too :)
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 11:54 PM on May. 15, 2009