Lots of eye boogers in the morning and after naptime? Why does he have so much gook all of a sudden?

My 15 month old has been getting MAJOR eye gook while he sleeps, like thick sticky stuff thats hard to get off- it crusts on his eyelashes. He hasnt been rubbing his eyes, or doing anything out of the ordinary lately.
Whats wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Are his eyes red? It could be pink eye. I would call his ped.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:24 PM on May. 15, 2009

• If his eyes are red and its crusting up even when he's awake it really could be pink eye. My 20 month olds are having it right now and I'm pretty sure it's allergies. They also get it sometimes with a cold.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:26 PM on May. 15, 2009

• It could be because of allergies, if his sinuses are plugged then it radiates up (gross I know) or he could have a cold in his eye if he's getting sick. Watch for "redness" and ask him if his eye feels like tehre's something in it. If he says yes then it may be pink eye
    Anonymous

• His eyes are not red. His father suspects possible allergies, I think it would be a cold coming on- but no other signs of a cold.
    Can his regular pedi screen him for allergies?
    Anonymous

• It could be llergies or he could be getting the start of an infection. And yes his regular pedi should be able to check him for allergies also give you something that will help with all the eye boogers
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:35 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Could be pink eye or even allergies. They are really bad this year. I use to have that when I was young to my eyes would be glued shut my mom just had to use a warm wet wash rag. Nothing was wrong.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 3:37 PM on May. 15, 2009

• most likily pink eye. are his eye whits blood shot? My dd gets pink eye along with ear infections. It's wort the doc visit in case it's bacterial infection. If it is, you will need eye drops. If it's viral or allergies, nothing you can do. Could be a clogged duct too. Is eye water as well as gunky?

warm wash cloth to remove gunk and ease any swelling.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like seasonal allergies; try elminating dairy for a while; dairy is mucus producing.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:24 PM on May. 15, 2009