Zoloft&preganancy?

Well before i got pregnante this time i had lost a full trim baby.
& i got pergnante really fast not even on purpose.
But i was put on zoloft for depression and im 25 weeks, and my doctor wants me to keep taking it and i heard that it can cause birth defects so i've been lieing saying i've been taking it this whole time but im scared to. you think i should tell him i havent been taking them? or just keep telling him i am and dont? thanks...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I dont think you should lie to your Dr. but if you heard it causes birth defects do some research and or get another opinion. Is this your Dr. or OBGYN. If its just a dr. check with your OB. Even a pharmasist knows what you can and cant take. So you could even ask them.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 3:32 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I would tell him that you are not taking it. But your going to need to tell him why. And it seems like you know why so your fine. As long as you arnt extremly depressed then you should be fine without taking the pills. But he does need to know what you are taking. Its not good to lie about taking something.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:33 PM on May. 15, 2009

• tell him, you're not taking it because you're worried of the effects to the baby. i wouldn't take it, if i were you. i'd wait until after the baby is born...or even after you stop breastfeeding.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 3:43 PM on May. 15, 2009

• the risks of not taking it far out weigh the risks of taking it. I took Lexapro during my pregnancy. And that is what my doc told me.
    casd

Answer by casd at 3:44 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I am pregnant now and I am taking Well Butrin and Lexapro for bi polar disorder. My doctor knows and approves. He actually had me change from Buspar to Lexapro so I can breast feed once I have my baby. There are really strong drugs that would be bad to take during pregnancy (Lithium etc) but your doctor will tell you whether the benefits outweigh the risks. You don't want to be depressed during or after a pregnancy.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 3:54 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I am 16 weeks pregnant and I am taking zoloft. my OB prescribed it to me. I had been on Paxil and they took me off of that and put me on zoloft. Just talk to your dr about your concerns.
    hnfields

Answer by hnfields at 4:22 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Talk to your Dr. about your concerns. There are also risks to your baby for gestating inside a mom who is depressed, anxious etc. Zoloft is really well studied, ask for more info on it. as for after baby arrives, Zoloft is the antidepressant of choice for nursing moms as it is almost undetected in breastmilk because so little transfers into milk.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:50 PM on May. 15, 2009