Weaning

I am weaning my 1 year old (slowly) from the breast to whole milk. She has never had formula or a bottle. She always refused the bottle. She will drink small amounts of water or juice from a straw sippy cup. My problem is that she will not drink very much milk. She will take small sips here and there but definitely not enought to make up for the breast milk she was getting. What do I do? Doesnt she need the milk for at least another year? What do I do if she won't drink it? I mean, she seems to like it she just won't drink very much. I AM going to wean her so please don't respond by telling me to breastfeed for another year or two.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Are you serving the milk cold? My youngest won't take milk unless it is warm.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:36 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Ditto,
    My babies wouldn't take it unless it was warmed. That is what they were used to.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:38 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Also, if she's eating food, the milk isn't as big a deal. You can get calcium and fat , etc. esle where in the diet. My daughter loves milk, but she drank much less when we moved to a sippy cup. She's still growing great.
    Anonymous

• Don't worry, it may take her a little bit to adjust to whole milk. Once she is weaned she'll probably want cow's milk more. Like someone else said as long as she is eating food it won't be a big deal that she is not drinking whole milk while you wean. If

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 4:59 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Maybe she knows that the World Health Organzation (much less influenced by the formula and dairy industries than American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of two years. Maybe she knows that she isn't a baby cow and doesn't need cow milk.
    Offer her water in a sippy and lots of calcium rich foods; here is a great article on building bones: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html
    Good fats can be found in lots of foods, like avocado, ground flax and flax oil, ground hempseeds and hemp oil; egg yolks; olive oil,etc.
    Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron is a great book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families; you should be able to find it at your local libary; more information at www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 5:23 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Can you pump and mix breast milk with whole milk at first and see if she will take that? I agree with rkoloms, but to each their own.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:32 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Maybe the mom doesn't WANT to BF anymore and you should limit your suggestions to those that are helpful and relevant to thequestion being asked.

Now, to answer the question being posed. My dd wouldn't drink much milk after I took away the bottle but she gradually started to drink more. Sometimes they just take a little while to adjust. Try it warm, try different cups, keep trying.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 8:07 PM on May. 15, 2009

• You shouldn't worry. Milk isn't necessary. She doesn't need it. She needs a well rounded diet, and dairy products are excellent for calcium, protein, and added vitamin d. But they aren't necessary.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:01 PM on May. 15, 2009