She wants finger foods, not baby food..

My 10 month old is rejecting baby food. She'll pick a screw up and try to eat it though >__>

We give her the Graduates Mini Fruits and Puffs and she loves them. She'll sit there all day and eat them. But when i get out the baby food jars she actually crawls away from me and squirms in her highchair, then fights until she's done eating. I dont put much baby food in there, just about two teaspoons full, and she always asks for her bottle afterwords.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you all in advance for your responses!

SpiritedTigress

Asked by SpiritedTigress at 4:33 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• thats about the right age for babies to have more interest in table foods! if you make your own pureed babyfood, you could always just make it chunkier, or add chunky foods to the jarred food. for example, if she's already tried pear, you can add chunks of pair to applesauce. for table foods you can slice up bananas, offer canned sliced peaches (find the ones with no added sugar and no sugar substitute, you can flush out the syrup with water), offer pancakes or waffles, slices of cheese... check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com for some good ideas!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:38 PM on May. 15, 2009

• She can gum food if she doesn't have teeth. I'd go ahead and let her try finger food while she is still interested- small bits of cooked vegetables and meats, for example. Fruits of course.

Answer by Bmat at 4:41 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My son has been eating what we eat for dinner since he was 9 months
    Anonymous

• If she does ok with the puffs I would just give her finger foods. Cut up fruits and veggies for her. Just keep an eye on her to be sure she doesn't choke or anything. =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 4:43 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My daughter was never big on baby food. By 9 months I stopped buying it and just giving her finger foods all the time. She loved, grilled cheese, soft veggies and fruit at that age. Itt is so much easier when they start eating table food.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 4:49 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Just give her table foods, she doesn't need puree's anymore (she's trying to tell you that)
    Just feed her anything you are eating that you can mash between your fingers... for example they last 3 days for lunch we had ( I just give him some of what I am having)
    fish, steak frys, applesauce
    corndog, beans and a banana
    Minestrone (I just scoop out the veges and noodles) I had salad too, be he couldn't so we skiped that.
    And then on the days we have an entire meal he can't have then we get out the gerber foods like the mini ravioli or whatever and he has that.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:52 PM on May. 15, 2009

• By 9 mo., mine refused anything on a spoon. Go for finger foods. Rule of Thumb: If you can squish it with your tongue against the roof of your mouth, then baby can gum it. Steamed, soft fruits and veggies in little cubes (apple, pear, nectarine, cantelope, broccoli, cauliflour, carrot, green bean, sweet potato, squash, etc.) Banana & Avocado don't need to be steamed....just peel and cut. (Actually, very ripe pear and nectarine/peach is okay too). Small pasta (or cutup pasta). Cut up toast, egg yolk/white once introduced (ask your doc), waffle bits (once egg has been introduced), chicken nuggets, fish, ground beef, ground turkey, grilled cheese cut up small (I put a layer of pureed carrot right next to the cheese to add some veggies). I tend to steam a couple of fruit medleys and a couple of veggie medleys and keep them in the fridge for meals. They're good for about 2-3 days as long as you heat them before serving.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:26 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Have you tasted baby food? it is really nasty stuff. Avocado, baked sweet potatoes, puffed brown rice, cooked beans are all great baby foods.
    there is a great book on feeding babies and toddlers called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron; you should be able to find a copy at your local library more information at www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 5:29 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Just give her finger foods! Soft bits of banana, sweet potato, soft steamed veggies, pasta even a little cooked chicken that is soft and you can mash between your fingers. Look on your plate, you will find a lot of things on it that you can put in little baby bite sized pieces on her tray.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:35 PM on May. 15, 2009

• At that age they can eat regular table foods. Small pieces of fruits and veggies, pasta, rice etc. They don't need teeth to eat table foods at all. My son started eating better when we stopped making purees for him, he wanted to feed himself!! He was about 10 months or so at the time.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:51 AM on May. 19, 2009