How many of you give your dog a monthly heart worm preventative?

My vet is always trying to talk me into getting things for my dog that others have told me he doesnt neccesarily need. My dog just turned one and there wanting to do a feecle test to see if he has heart worms which I highly doubt he doese cause hes very healthy and then they said that I need to give him a heart worm preventative once every month that I can only purchase from a vet. Hes an inside dog and the only dog at that and only goes out side to potty and play a bit. We live in Texas and the vet said that he can get heart worm from the misquitos here. Doese my dog really need to take this preventative onece a month for the rest of his life? This is what the vet suggested but I really dont want to spend money that is not neccasary.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Pets

• We always gave our dog heartworm preventative treatments, just because we figured it was better to do that than to risk heartworm. The fecal test beforehand is to check for heartworms because if you give the drug to a dog with heartworms it can be fatal. Ultimately I guess it's up to you... your dog could go his whole life without heartworms or could get bitten by an infected mosquito next week and you'll have to decide what level of risk you are comfortable living with.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:56 PM on May. 15, 2009

• We give both of our dogs heartworm medicine once a month. Our dogs have never had to give a fecal test to check for heartworms. The vet just takes a little bit of their blood and puts it on a disk type test (sort of like a pregnancy test, where you swab the urine on). Both of our dogs are inside, but go outside quite a lot to play in our yard and to go potty. Our vet also said that the dogs would more than likely get heartworms from mosquitos and we have tons of them here in Indiana. It isn't worth the risk to me, but like the PP, it is up to you.
    Cookie1124

Answer by Cookie1124 at 5:10 PM on May. 15, 2009

• all of our dogs get heartworm meds every month. An otherwise healthy looking dog can be infected, and infect other dogs. Heart worm in advanced stages actually eats the heart muscle until it looks similiar to a koosh ball. the fecal test is needed and HW preventative is a must for good health.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:18 PM on May. 15, 2009

• We give both our dogs heartworm preventative every month as well. They are both inside dogs, too, but they go outside every day to potty, play, and on walks therefore they are at risk. I would rather pay the price of the meds every month than have one of them get heartworms and have to pay for that treatment or see them die if they didn't make it through the treatment.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:23 PM on May. 15, 2009

• OP... Thank you for every one who answered, this is my first dog and I had no idea how important it was to have him treated monthly for heart worm. I will be getting it done next month now that I know. Thanks again!
    Anonymous

• i never had with any of my dogs through my lifetime and i'm like you feel it's not necessary. i don't do it now and probably never will. as for the fecal if you don't see worms in their fecal matter i wouldn't test. my vet asked if our new puppys poo had worms. i did get the fecal test but felt it was a waste cause all they did was get a dewormer for it and then tested her. if the dewormer gets rid of it then why did i test. i didn't think of that til later. it's s chance you take. it's like when tire shops ask you if you want insurance on your tires. they talk you into it although it's really just a waste of money for you and a way for them to make money cause your most likely never going to use the insurance cause they make the tires to last the term of the tire life. i'm surprised to read how many ladies said they do test.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:24 PM on May. 15, 2009

• every month.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:24 AM on May. 16, 2009

• It depends on where we are living. We're in Alaska right now and Alaska doesn't have heartworm so my dogs don't get the preventative. When we move to somewhere that has them (pretty much everywhere else in America) I will put them on it.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 4:09 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I do! I have two dogs and I always go jogging, park etc with them. It is a lot cheaper than the treatments so it is well worth it!
    Luckylady32807

Answer by Luckylady32807 at 10:28 AM on May. 16, 2009

• We have 4 & 1/2 chihuahua's....lol. We give them all heartgard every month....it is a good investment.....to keep them from getting heart worms.....Example : My former husband didn't get heartgard for his dog....his dog did get heart worms....i read up on heart worms in a dog...it is a cruel death if not given treatment.....his dog had to be put to sleep....so please do give heartgard to ur furbaby....it's well worth it ! Diane :-o
    dichihuahua

Answer by dichihuahua at 11:46 PM on May. 17, 2009