when do u turn a car seat face foward?

ok so I am confused. When do you buy the second stage car seat and turn it face foward. I have heard when their feet touch the back of the seat,when they are 30 inches or when they are a year old. My daughter is almost 5 monthes old but is hitting the back of the seat with her feet and I dont know how long to have her remain rear facing or if u can rear face the 2nd stage seat. Im a first time mom so bear with me lol.

Nychic155

Asked by Nychic155 at 4:47 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its okay if her feet touch the back seat. legally, you can turn them forward facing at 1 yr and 20 lbs (note, she has to be BOTH 1 yr AND 20 lbs) but it is safest to keep her rear-facing until the seats limit. you can use a convertible car seat both forward and rear facing.
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 4:52 PM on May. 15, 2009

• i wanted to add, that my toddler will be 2 next month and is still rear-facing (along with my 6 month old, too)
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 4:56 PM on May. 15, 2009

• She MUST rear face until she is BOTH 1 year and 20 lbs.
    The legs touching the back of the seat means nothing and it won't cause any harm in an accident (her legs won't break)
    She can rear face in her infant seat until she has outgrown it by weight OR there is less than an inch of hard shell above her head.
    Then she needs a convertible seat. It's best to rear face until she out grows her convertible... the American Acadamy of Pediatrics says they should rear face to a minimum of 2 years.
    Most convertible seats allow you to rear face to 33-35 pounds, so for most kids they can stay that was for 2-3 years.
    I plan on rear facing my son until he is 35 pounds. Right now he is 10 months old 22 pounds and 31 inches.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:57 PM on May. 15, 2009

• You can put her in a convertible seat now if you want, but it needs to stay rear facing. If she is above the weight limit for the infant seat, or has less then one inch of hard shell above her head, she NEEDS to move out of that seat. If not, you can, but don't have to. You cannot turn her forward facing until AT LEAST 12 mos old AND 20 lbs, but it is recommended to leave your child rear facing as long as the seat allows (usually between 30-35 lbs).
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:58 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Well you need to find another car seat thats rear facing and foward facing and take her out of the car seat shes in right now. Also you can't turn her facing foward until shes at least a year old and the doctor gives you the go ahead. The whole reason they can't face forward until there a year old is because there neck mucsels are'nt strong enough, if there in a crash. Thats what my doctor told me. Some people leave there child rear facing longer but the law in my state is a year and thats what it is in most states.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:58 PM on May. 15, 2009

• thank u guys for clairfying it for me i really appreciate it :)
    Nychic155

Answer by Nychic155 at 5:01 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Keep in mind that the AAP now recommends that you keep them rear facing until 2yrs old. The law in most states is a minimum of 1 yr 20 lbs, but safety experts all agree it is best to keep them rear facing longer.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:33 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My 3 year 8 month old is still rear facing =D It actually looks more comfortable because his legs don't hang off the chair...he has a place to put them.
    Emmoney

Answer by Emmoney at 5:46 PM on May. 15, 2009

• you should really wait. till she is a year or at least 30 pounds.i hope this helps
    ZAGARIPRUSS

Answer by ZAGARIPRUSS at 6:07 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Law in most states says AT LEAST 1 year AND 20 lbs before turning around so your LO is nowhere near being ready. The longer they are rear facing the better and our seat goes rearfacing up to 30 lbs and 32 inches long. You may well need to graduate from the infant carrier type seat to a convertible (rear and forward facing) at this point, but DO NOT turn that baby forward facing yet.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:23 PM on May. 15, 2009